Species: Human

Sex: Male

Age: 56

Year: 2008

Country: U.S.A.

Locality: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Survived?: Yes

Medical Diagnosis of Blastomycosis?: Yes

Where Caught: Working in and near a wood yard at place of employment (Paper Mill)

Symptoms: Feburary 8th started with a dry cough that became much worst over couple of weeks.
Went to my Doctor he thought I had bronchitisis gave Meds and I went home.
I did'nt improve over next week went back to Doctor. X-Ray fluid in lungs more meds and home.
Feburary 26th My daughter stopped to see how I was doing and found me in a incoherent condition called my son for help. They brought me to my Doctors office he had me sent to hospital immediately.
Four days later couldn't they determine what was wrong, my son had me moved to a larger Hospital 70 miles away.
The Doctors there recognized potential Blastomycosis from experience, did lung sampling to confirm there diagnosis and started me on Itraconizal and sporonex. I went into pulmanary arrest after 3 days at the hospital and was in the I.C.U. for 20 plus days with a ventalator and feeding tube down my throat. At one point they told my chidren that it was now up to me if I would survive. My left lung was full and half of the right.I spent 64 days in hospital lost 100 pounds and nearly all muscle function.

Treatment: Sporonex,Itraconizal.Sertraline.Prednisone,Prochlorperazine,Benzonatate along with many other drugs. After all the antibiotics killed all the good bugs along with the bad I suffered from Colitisis like symtums and many months of Physical Therapy to regain my strenght back.

Cost of Treatment: The cost of the I.C.U. was $158,000.00
I am not sure of the exact figure but the bills for the rest of the stay and Physical Threapy was close to another $100,000.00 plus drugs for the next 9 months.

Additional Comments: I can only say great things about the Doctors who had the knowledge at Marquette Hospital who's quick reactions I believe saved my life.

Login to Edit this Case