Author Topic: Blastomycosis cases on the rise in Marathon county, Wisconsin  (Read 4419 times)

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
    • lisa.blog
Health Dept.: Blastomycosis cases on the rise in Marathon Co.
http://www.waow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12226709
News Line 9 - WAOW

Blastomycosis cases are on the rise in Marathon County, according to a news release from the Health Department.

Those currently infected with new cases would have been exposed in late fall of 2009 since symptoms can take 1-3 months to appear.

Symptoms of Blastomycosis resemble pneumonia and other lung conditions though some cases don't show any symptoms at all, according to the news release. Symptoms you can watch for include:
-dry cough, which may progress to weight loss
-chest pain and persistent cough with thick sputum
-muscle aches
-night sweats
-coughing up blood
-shortness of breath
-chest tightness

The air-bourne infection can affect other body symptoms including the skin and bone. It is usually more severe for those with compromised immune systems, underlying health conditions and the elderly.

Blastomycosis is caused by a fungus called Blastomyces dermitiditis which produces microscopic spores that become airborne.

Newsline 9 has a crew uncovering the details of the recent increase in Blasto cases. Stay tuned to WAOW.com and Newsline 9 for the very latest.

Offline jefndebbacon

• Winter - miss you....
Re: Blastomycosis cases on the rise in Marathon county, Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:08:18 PM »
Hi Lisa,

I see that you are the administrator of this website?  I just want to thank you for keeping this site up and running. What a great wealth of information, with wonderful, helpful people.  Although we lost our Winter to Blasto in March of this year, I will continue to visit this site to learn more and provide support if I can.  Thank you so much for all that you do!  I know how much you loved Surf, just as we loved our Golden Winter.

Sincerely,

Debbie

Wilson3

Re: Blastomycosis cases on the rise in Marathon county, Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 06:06:19 PM »
Debbie well said!
Lisa Thank you so much for keeping this wonderful place going!
it has helped sooooo many!
Kristin

anything