Author Topic: Blastomycosis in Northern Ontario  (Read 16712 times)

Offline mikicmikido

Re: Blastomycosis in Northern Ontario
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 02:38:40 PM »
Hi, I just added my case to the board on the homepage, as Mikki The Human.  I just want to let everybody know that blasto is alive and well in the Sault STe. Marie area, I live on St. Joseph Island.  Please read my case, I don't think that I could write it all again.  The government needs to start releasing and tracking the information about the patients who have or had this disease around here.  When I saw my doctor for my last appointment, he told me that there had been 6 new human cases since mine that he was treating in the area.  This is just ridiculous.  I don't care what this will do to tourism, people are losing their lives...I have also heard from many people who have parents or grandparents in the area that died from "farmer's lung".  Many of them feel as though this was just undiagnosed blastomycosis.

Offline Connie

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 07:25:18 AM »
Mikki, I couldn't find your story

Offline mikicmikido

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 08:04:05 PM »
Sorry, I should have been more clear...it is in the case database. 

Offline Connie

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 06:34:40 AM »
Miki,
 I found your story, Am glad all is well with you now. Glad you didn't have to go through it as long as I did. Boy the costs sure have risen since I had blasto. I still have my cottage where I got the blasto.  I go to the cottage all the time. No person or animal has gotten it since I was sick.  There are alot of cottagers out there as well. It has been 10 yrs since I initially contracted the blasto.  How are your lungs now? Mine are crap and I have never smoked a day in my life either. I can't do too much or get too emotional or I have trouble breathing. There have been a few cases of blasto since I was sick but not from where I got it. I agree. There needs to be more information and hospitals need to be more informed. It is happening more and more.

Offline Connie

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »
Well today I got a scare. Its been about a week its been over 30 degrees with the humidity.  I have always had trouble with breathing in the heat, with emotions and over exerting myself. Today while I was out the weather really took a toll on me. I found myself gasping for air. It was so difficult to regain my breathing. Stupid me forgot to bring my pumps with me as well. This was the worst for me with the weather. It never happened before like this. Its been 12 years since I have been cleared of the blasto, my lungs seem to be getting worse. Its not the blasto coming back, it just seems as I am getting older my lungs do not seem as strong. Hoping it doesn't get any worse. Just wanting to keep people updated as not too may stories of the after effects with survivors.

Connie

Offline lisakuhlmann

• devastated
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 05:59:00 AM »
EVERYONE needs to take advantage of all the social media networks and get the word out! When the doctors don't know about Blasto there will be more lives lost. Get on Facebook, call newpapers, tv and radio stations. Put up flyers and educate the public. These horror stories will continue unless WE do something!  >:(  Demand your public servants track reported cases. Talking is free, tell everyone you know about Blasto.  ;)
309-826-5472   lisa@ccaonline.com

Offline Connie

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
More update to the forever breathing problems since having blasto. I went through a very difficult time with breathing and different doctors. Now with the tests they have done it has been found I now have COPD and am now on 3 different puffers. They are making a difference but breathing will never be 100% again.

Offline angela_sabbatini

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »
Thanks for sharing so much of your story and giving us survivors and family an outlook on the recovery and longer term effects of Blasto. Just don't know what the future will hold, but keep on keeping on :) We have been living this for two years now......

Offline Connie

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 07:39:52 AM »
My breathing got worse again. Mid June i was hospitalized for a week because my oxygen fell to 42%. I left the hospital with oxygen and no reason of what happened to me or what to do after leaving the hospital. Vital Air brought oxygen to my house and told me how to use it and thats it. I wasn't impressed that there was no plan in helping me. I heard from a CF patient that he had seen a Professional Trainer to teach him to breath and use his body while breathing. This guy now runs marathons. It has been almost a month now that I have been seeing this trainer. I rarely use my oxygen now. I started seeing him 2 days a week and this week have started 3 days a week. It is hard and expensive (50.00 an hour) but it is well worth getting my life back. It is really too bad that all the agencies and professionals don't get together to offer this help. I was lucky just talking to the right people who said they knew of the CF person. I just wish I would of known earlier and my breathing wouldn't of gotten so bad. Note.... the Trainer teaches you proper breathing and exercises your body at the same time as we need to do all that at the same time.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:54:02 PM by Connie »