Author Topic: Retinal Detachment  (Read 198 times)

Offline PattyO

Retinal Detachment
« on: September 28, 2017, 08:07:59 PM »
My 5 year old Ollie dx Blasto 9/7, on Fluconozole since then. Lungs full of this damn fungi. Just Tuesday his eyes looked different and he bumped into a couple things. Took him to local vet Wednesday who told me he was blind. Took him to another vet today, lots of experience with eyes. Giving him special eye drops now every 3 hours. She said maybe a little vision could return. Maybe glaucoma will come. Heart breaking to see this happening to him. Just heartbreaking. Any words of compassion, experience to share, knowledge out there, please share. I'm so sad and afraid of what may be next.

Thank you.

Offline oakes cove

• Old Member 2013
Re: Retinal Detachment
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 07:21:39 PM »
Hell, my dog Mable went completely blind from blasto.  Its been four years. She is totally ok with being blind now. When it first happened We walked her through the house and yard to let her remember the layout. We use words like careful when she is getting close to something she could bang into as a pre warning. I read that where your dog personality fits into the pack helps owners to understand there pet better. Mable is very docile in the pack. We had another dog that helped her along quite well. That girl Molly just died this summer.  One thing that is good for your dog is soft gentle encouragement. We tell Mable she can do anything and she believes it. We live on lake superior near lots of hills and water. She climbs rocks and swims all the time. There ears and smell are very keen even better since going completely blind. She walks freely throughout the yard. We keep all vehicles in one area and furniture in and out of house never gets moved. She does have glaucoma and now developed conjinctive eye.  I will say if you can to not allow the head to be banged. Mable got vestibular syndrome earlier this year. Its because she banged her head plus aging thats makes the dog get head tilt and become very dizzy and unsteady on there feet. There are homeopathics meds that can be taken.   Just plenty of encouragement to your dog and allowing them independence to walk around. They take things slow independently.  Making sure you pre warn before bumping into something, showing them how to do stairs by tapping steps.  Just being aware of everything around you. Close cupboards keep shoes away from being tripping hazards. Corners on car or truck doors. Just being aware.   Mables story is on this site. I hope i was some help. I dont know all the answers but Mable is a four year survivor.   Goodluck it can be done

Offline ghart36

Re: Retinal Detachment
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »
Just wanted to say that I wish your family the best in these dismal situations. I hope everything works out good and the drops help.

anything