Author Topic: Scout Blastomycosis  (Read 994 times)

Offline Laurascout

Scout Blastomycosis
« on: August 21, 2017, 04:56:31 AM »
 Hi. My beloved dog Scout was first diagnosed with blasto in March 2014. His level was found to be UN- quantitatively high through urine at miravista labs. Since then, he is a 3 time blasto survivor and is battling his fourth. It has been in his leg, his lungs, his eye, his prostate, central nervous system, bones and brain. He has been on fluconazole for the better part of three and a half years. With this round it seems that his blasto is becoming or already is resistant to the fluconazole. I am thinking about switching him to itraconazole but know that time and other factors such as age and body condition are not on his side (he hasn't been eating much at all for a couple of weeks now and is very boney).

Has anyone experienced resistance with blastomycosis treatment?

Offline Singerbellringer

Re: Scout Blastomycosis
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 01:50:30 PM »
Hi Laurascout, My Irish setter, Singer, is 12 years old and was finally diagnosed with Blasto last month. She will be checked for liver enzymes next Tuesday after being on fluconazole for two weeks, along with doxycycline. She had been on Doxy twice before, because she had been Lyme positive as a younger dog before we had her and we thought this might be a flare up. She is a former show dog from Canada and I'm wondering if she's had subclinical Blasto for years. This summer we had our yard torn up for resodding, but that is the only exposure, except for being kenneled in a woodsy area last November. We thought she had kennel cough and treated her with antibiotics in December, then Doxy in May. She had the urine test in August after I suggested it. She has responded to the fluconazole, but she seems to be plateauing as well. So I am wondering too if transitioning to Itraconazole would be helpful. She has it in her eye and I will ask about glaucoma drops next week, because antibiotic drops don't seem to work. Her skeletal health is exceptional, but she has been limping in back legs. Her lungs showed donut hole pattern, not snowstorm pattern, which suggested asthma, not Blasto and delayed diagnosis. How is Scout? How old is he? I am concerned about Singer's age, but she's been so healthy that we're hoping she'll pull through. I also feed her very healthy food--homemade meat patties baked in oven with ground up vegetables, blueberries and apples. She loves them. It's not too expensive, either! Cheaper than other dog foods. Let me know if you or anyone wants the recipe. Lasts about two weeks and she's about 65 lbs. at least last time she was weighed. Good luck with Scout! Did you treat with fluconazole each time? Was his antigen levels high when tested? Singer's was on the lower end and we hope that means she will be easier to cure.