Author Topic: NEED HELP ASAP I've been told that the meds have been discontinued LIFE OR DEATH  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Triangleduomike

Hi, my friend was diagnosed with blasto in Aug or Sept.  She's from Minnesota just a few hours away from the Canadian border.  First off it was missdiagnosed and treated as pneumonia.  Since she got much worse she was tested and one of the doctors recognised it as Blasto.  He had perscribed her with 200mg?Sporanox (Generic: Itraconazole) capsule form. She's been taking them since around late Sept early Nov, but had been having many problems with acquiring the meds.  Many times her pharmacy had told her that they were very low in stock of the meds and that the meds were very hard to come by and pricey at that.  A couple of days ago she was told that the pills have been discontinued by the manufacturer... She has no idea what to do.  She feels so hopeless and isn't taking the necessary steps to possible find a resolution for this issue, so that's why I'm stepping up to the plate and come here to ask if anyone can help out by giving me/us a little bit of knowledge about where we can start to acquire her meds.  If she doesn't take two a day she'll relapse and SHE WILL DIE... She will be out of all her meds early Jan, so we don't want that to happen.  I care too much for her and hate to see her in the defeated state she's in.  So I pose these questions, what do we do?  How do we acquire these meds for her, what country should/can we import them from? Are there any left to do so? Is there any way to contact the manufacturers and tell them they can't take them off the market (Isn't that illegal)? 

Time is really of the essence with this matter so help of any kind is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Mike

Offline Harleys Mom

• Harley shows his favorite colors
Sorry to hear about your friend. Not sure what different meds are available for people, but many dogs take Fluconazole (sorry may be spelled wrong.) It's usually recommended for dogs that have nervous system involvement but if Itra is not available, it could be a better alternative to no meds at all. I have seen where others have had trouble getting Flucon but it's worth checking into.

Hope your friend is able to work out her medication situation.

Offline Triangleduomike

Thank you, I'll ask her if that may help.

UPDATE: I do have some good news, though!  Apparently the pharmacy was able to get their hands on on another month/weeks supply (I'll have to ask the specifics). Of course we still need to find more before she runs out of that prescription as well.  Again, thank you for the reply and I'll tell her what you suggested.

I'll keep this thread open if anyone who may also have additional suggestions.

Offline tomanyaussies

• Molly's Mission Awareness of Blastomycosis
Mike,  Where is your friend located at. I have checked with the manufacturer of Itranconzole here in the states and it is not being discontinued.   Is it maybe the Pharmacy is not carrying it any more?  try http://www.canadadrugcenter.com/index.asp

anything