Author Topic: Zeke, two time Blasto survivor, cancer victim.  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Algonquin

Zeke, two time Blasto survivor, cancer victim.
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:20:49 AM »
It is with tears in my eyes and a very heavy heart that we have made the decision to end Zekes suffering this afternoon.  He survived Blastomycosis twice but this cancer was beyond fighting. He was given 6 months maximum and bless his heart he fought for 8 long months. We had him back to the university last week and there was still no sign of any internal tumors forming. To this we credit the medical marijuana and the K9 immunity. Unfortunately the original site of the tumor on his leg, which we had surgically removed in June, started to grow again about a month ago. They were not able to get all of it removed surgically.  Lat week it opened, we tried a Chinese herb to stop the bleeding. It helped but he stopped eating and when I tried to feed him he literally spit it out. He deserves better.

Zeke has been with us since he was 8 weeks old. We met him when he was only 5 days old. He never did anything bad or wrong. Ok, he destroyed a pair of $600.00 glasses but that was my fault, as I left them on the car seat.

When we retired in 2009 Zeke traveled throughout Europe with us for a year and I can't tell you how many times he had his picture taken. We would take bets on how many Japanese tourists would hide around a corner to snap his picture. He jumped into some of the most famous fountains in Europe just to cool off, much to the shock of us and the surrounding tourists. He was a great greeter as well, he prompted many conversations throughout our travels with him.  We took him to the Bahamas the last two winters and I think he likes the Polar Vortex better than the beaches of the Exumas. He loves the snow!

I sincerely appreciate all the help we received on this site. It truly saved his life with his first round of Blasto in 2011. Lolasmom, we are indebted to your help.

I will be back, but for the next little while I need to grieve at the loss of my best buddy! I know you understand.
One day at a time!

Offline Btex

Re: Zeke, two time Blasto survivor, cancer victim.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 08:36:37 PM »
If your love could have healed him, he would have had many lives. You've inspired all of us.

Offline wiscnorthwind

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:09:15 PM »
You gave Zeke all of your love and a wonderful life. We all know how difficult this must have been, but you gave the best of everything to Zeke, including your compassion.  Our hearts go out to you.

Hugs,
Deb

Offline Faith

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 06:48:24 AM »
Zeke and your whole family have been such a motivator and blessing for mine.  Zeke will be missed but will remain always in our hearts.    My condolence.