Author Topic: Good Bye my sweet boy  (Read 3051 times)

Offline golden4649

Good Bye my sweet boy
« on: November 22, 2013, 09:06:54 PM »
We bid farewell to our five year old golden retriever. He fought a good fight. He was diagnosed the first week of August. We treated him aggressively and with high hopes for a recovery. I spent 6 weeks force feeding him hills a/d medicated food. He was on intraconazole and prednisone since August.  In September he finely started eatting on his own. I thought we were out of the woods. He was putting weight on and more active. With aggressive care and a great care team through both our family vet and our emergency advanced care hospital I truly thought we were going to beat it. Then he developed a secondary bacterial lung infection. We treated the bacterial infection with antibiotics. He lost his battle. Two hospitalizations... Countless visits to the vet for bloodwork and follow ups... Medications that are priced outrageously.... And food that is priced along the same lines of the medications. The final cost of his care was 4900.00 for vets, hospitals, and food. And an additional amount that I have yet to total for the meds(actually I am afraid to total). And nothing to show for it. When he got sick he weighed almost 80 pounds by the time we put him down he weighed 49 pounds and he was suffering. My vet says we did everything we could but I can't get it out of my head  that it wasn't enough. I miss him so much. Till we meet again my dear boy... I'll love you forever

Offline Faith

Re: Good Bye my sweet boy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 04:49:39 AM »
 Broke my heart to read this.   My condolence.

Offline WisconsinLabLover

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 07:16:15 PM »
My heart aches for you. Your sad story brought back memories of our sweet little lab we lost in July. My thoughts are with you.

Offline robpiper

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 08:59:37 PM »
So sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our boy one year ago this month, and I still miss him dearly.Only four years young at the time.
After 5 months we got a sweet yellow lab female, I cant bring myself to get another black Lab male again. She has helped to divert the pain of losing him.

Offline Btex

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 11:35:50 PM »
I have never posted here but I have been reading advice and have followed the guidance. Last November must have been great for blasto (evil creature). My E-vet diagnosed my dog with steroid responsive meninigitus that was the first 5,000 the next 3,000 was to the actual cause blasto. The money hurts but I can get that back (not easily and it will take awhile) the pain, and heart acke of loosing my 7month first visit 11month old Time of death Anatolian has not eased much. Your pain is raw, and you have every right to vent, swear, scream in a pillow and then cry yourself to sleep. Then one day you again will decide or in my case happenstance to grab another little bundle of fur. It hurts, it's scary and everyplace you go will be a place you've gone before with your little guy. Mine is 7months old now, and the I dont ever want to go through this again thought is always lurking. You don't get over the fear. You won't forget the sorrow. The fond memories that made you laugh at your boy will make you cry. You will come to this site just to be with others who know how you feel, to share and learn and to feel their joy when a negative test is finally achieved. Time will help. Prayers for you and your little guy

Offline Faith

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 03:52:05 AM »
My condolence for the loss of Anatolian, Btex.  A love that strong will always be remembered.  Prayers for you and your love too.