Author Topic: Milwaukee, Wisconsin  (Read 3032 times)

Offline tonysmom

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
« on: September 26, 2013, 05:23:52 PM »
Wondering if there is a way to look up this disease here by specific location. Though there are general locations and any pet/human may be susceptible I wonder what specifics (localities, weather factors, environmental disturbances, etc...) might spark an increase in cases.

Unfortunately, my dog will be leaving this earth soon.

Offline Faith

Re: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 05:52:42 AM »
Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa...I'm guessing between 15-20 states easy.   Wisconsin leads only because their vets are experience with this and spot it quickly.  Scary that medical doctors and most vets are ignorant to the fact this exists and should be testing it as a standard basic exam.  In our area its about 2-3 pets / clinic  has it.  Per individual vet clinic its no cause for alarm.. but what if you add up all those cases < numbers increase >.   

When was your dog diagnosed?   It seriously gets so scary.  Our girl Sophie went through Hell and back then into it again quite a few times.   The hardest part it keeping calm.  My vet thought her Mira Vista test must have been off the charts in the beginning for by the time we checked it 3 months after treatment started it was rather high.   Maybe it was a blessing I was too naive or tired at the time to test at the start.   Obstacles can be overcome if you need help ask for our experience and we will happily share anything to help you.   This group helped me unravel choices and gave me hope when no one in my area did.   An owner of a survivor < 2 years ago and still living clear of blasto > in a nearby town reached out to me.  Sophie so far is the only one I know that is beating it in our city.  Sharing her story so people know it can be treated and beaten. 

Construction sites stirred up the spores, landscaping, tilling the land, multching, mold on trees or buildings, flooding might bring it onto the land nearby... so many possible options out there.  What we learned from this experience is to eat as healthy < anti-fungal > as possible.  This we are doing for ourselves as well.   We refuse to live in fear and we love the outdoors.  What I'd like to see is a faster accurate way with reasonable fee to diagnose challenges like this.    We remained open to alternative methods throughout this whole ordeal and used it.  Our vet knew of everything we did.  If we waited one day to start treatment Sophie was probably .... < deep breath >..... she made it though... just blessed.   

Lung x-ray, staining the oozing sore, and viewing under the microscope gave us the initial edge to start treatment ASAP on that first visit.  Blood work was going to take a day or two for results.  Our vet just returned from the Blastomycosis seminar < miracle >.   He learned about Mira Vista as a diagnosis tool through us because of the veterans here.  Sophie had all most every symptom possible and crying was a way of life for me for the first month.  Exhaustion, lack of sleep, constant prayer for easy two- three months.  Any amount of success < even a fraction>.was a win for us.

This experience is being used to help other pets/ pet owners/vets from having to live through all that ugly.  There is sunshine and rainbows after the storms <note the plural>.

Offline CCHill

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:27:11 AM »
I know this was posted a while ago but the information, is helpful. Thank you!

Offline joyace

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 07:37:41 AM »
sorry to hear about pet but for me it is a loved one

anything