Author Topic: Our Little Lab, Isabella and Fear of Other Dogs/People Getting Blasto  (Read 2465 times)

Offline WisconsinLabLover

We just lost our 11 month old Labrador retriever, Isabella, to Blastomycosis on Monday, July 22. We live in southwest Wisconsin but we are about 95% sure she inhaled the spores when we were at our cottage on Fence Lake in Vilas County (Blasto Hotspot we found out). That is about  and 30 miles west of Eagle River. She had lung involvement and was misdiagnosed with pneumonia by our local vet. We had never heard of Blasto. After several days on anti-biotic she was not improving. We took her to the University of Wisconsin Veterinary Hospital in Madison where a diagnosis of Blasto was confirmed. She was in the Critical Care Unit for almost 8 days on Fluconazole and Amphotericin B. We visited her every night. She was so weak that she developed a secondary infection. That is when we had to make the sad decision to end her suffering; she was not going to get well. We are heartsick. The DVMs and CVTs at the UW were incredibly caring and compassionate. We have learned so much about Blasto in the last three weeks! We are mentally and emotionally exhausted.

This weekend we will be heading back up to our cottage in Northern Wisconsin as we have done for almost 50 years. We've raised three other Labs at the lake and never had a problem, never heard a thing about it. Now we've lost our sweet little girl to this horrible disease. This disease has changed the way we feel about "our favorite place". Our son and his wife were going to spend time with us, but have now decided not to take a chance on their Labrador Retriever, Brewer, coming in contact with the spores somewhere...who knows where. (Last year he had cancer...) We've always had Labs and I can't bear the thought of life without a dog, but I'm worried about exposing another pup (or ourselves) to the fungus. Do any of you have the same fear? Is it a crap shoot? Is it impossible to avoid - so know the symptoms and get early treatment?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:10:03 AM by WisconsinLabLover »

Offline kimnordin

So sorry to hear about your Isabella. Your grief must be heavy. I almost lost my Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, Cabela to Blasto last Jan. & then again in Feb. She barely pulled through.Her lungs were full.
We have a cabin in Northern MN where she contracted it. We have the same question. When she finally stops her antifungals, she can get it again, & we have another dog too. I called a Blasto expert from Mira Vista labs, & he said catching it early us key, but the only thing you can do to decrease the chances is give
your dog the antifungal medicine 1 week before you go & while you are in the Blasto hot spot. Cabela is a hunting dog so she is always sniffing. I give her organic apple cider vinegar 1Tbs daily in her wet food because it's a natural antifungal. Then I pray, pray,pray. Blasto is a horrible experience. We love our cabin on the lake, but now I'm always a little worried when we go up. Hang in there. We dog lovers are in it together. Still hoping for a vaccine to be developed.
XOXO.     Kim

Offline WisconsinLabLover

Re: Our Little Lab, Isabella and Fear of Other Dogs/People Getting Blasto
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 07:10:07 PM »
Thanks Kim. You do sound like you are in the same situation as we are with the cabin in the northwoods, lakes, etc! I moved my post over to the regular Pets with Blasto forum, so I am going to copy and paste your response there. :-)

anything