Author Topic: My dog has blasto should my child get tested?  (Read 5793 times)

Offline Allipelli

My dog has blasto should my child get tested?
« on: October 17, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »
My dog was just diagnosed with blasto we are working on getting him healthy. Now I'm concerned about my 4 yr old getting this he has a cough for the last week,no fever or other symtom thinking of bringing him in to get tested or am I being paranoid?

Offline cabutts0924

Re: My dog has blasto should my child get tested?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 05:52:07 PM »
You child cannot catch it from the dog but if the dog inhaled the spores somewhere the child did also then if your child develops respiratory symtpoms take them in

Offline Faith

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:36:11 PM »
Personally paying attention to symptoms of humans and pets that have been exposed to Blasto. 
Nothing wrong with Knowledge for its the best defense.  Your dog is lucky you noticed.

Check allergen count in your area for it rose quickly within a couple days in our area.
Then note in case your child's symptoms arises about the same time next year.

Keep listening to your intuition.   You'll know what to do.   

Offline HGardner

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 12:08:22 AM »
I just found this site today, and I see you asked this question long ago, I hope you still see this.  I personally wouldn't stress about your child unless there are similar symptoms or unexplainable health issues similar to Blasto.  Okay, having said this, we are currently getting our 14 year old daughter's reoccurring skin lesions specifically tested for Blasto by a newly recommended dermatologist that my husband was recommended to by a surgeon he knows that has been following her health issues.  My daughter has had rashes, lesions, extended allergy injection treatments, and other doctors never could figure out the cause.  So, being that we have had a history of 5 dogs or more diagnosed, confirmed and some treated and then died and currently have 2 dogs that our vet also confirmed had Blasto, treated and they are now thriving, we've been told to check out the possibility of my daughter having it.  It would explain a lot. We live in a hot spot, obviously where we live.  This history is the only reason I'd suggest ever worrying about testing a child. Otherwise, the odds are extremely slim of your family contracting it.
HG

Offline Hrkearns

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 08:23:52 PM »
Does anyone know how soon after exposure there could be a positive test result? I called MiraVista labs and they would not even speak with me. My dog had blasto and I am also worried about my grandchildren. I want to find and treat any exposure early!! I would appreciate any information! Thank you. Rebecca kearns