Author Topic: Doug Dufresne gives back to hospital that saved his life during Blastomycosis...  (Read 4439 times)

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
    • lisa.blog
Dufresne gives back to hospital that saved his life
Winnipeg Free Press
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/135492958.html

WINNIPEG furniture giant Doug Dufresne has given back to Health Sciences Centre for saving so many lives, including his own.

The founder and president of The Dufresne Group, which celebrates its 25th anniversary today, presented a $30,000 cheque to the HSC Foundation, which raises money for Health Sciences Centre.

"It's a great opportunity to give back," Dufresne said. "It's an amazing facility here. It's second to none."

Seven years ago, Dufresne was diagnosed with blastomycosis, a rare infection caused by inhaling a fungus found in certain soils. Dufresne's lungs and kidneys shut down, and he was put on life support for 17 days.

"They actually saved my life," Dufresne said at the cheque presentation at the John Buhler Research Centre Monday morning.

"There was a time when they said he wouldn't make it," said Dufresne's son, Mark, CEO of The Dufresne Group.

But as his father recounted, "by golly, I pulled through."

The care Dufresne received at Health Sciences Centre, which specializes in the treatment of infectious diseases, saved his life. It also allowed him to keep doing the things he loves, such as fishing and spending time with his seven granddaughters and one grandson.

"Myself and my family are very grateful," the elder Dufresne said. "The health system is making people live a lot longer, and they're doing a darn good job."

The donation was part of Dufresne's Million Charity Challenge, which is awarding $500,000 in grants, ranging from $5,000 to $30,000, to 51 charities in Manitoba and Ontario. These charity groups will then raise an equivalent amount of money.

The money donated Monday will be used to refurnish two waiting rooms.

"Waiting rooms are one of the places where families of patients find comfort," said John Mohan, president and CEO of the HSC Foundation.

Offline Cathy, Bailey and Duke

Now those are the stories you like to read!

Offline Carmen

You are lucky - my sister didn't survive

Offline lisakuhlmann

• devastated
The money was spent on WAITING ROOMS???!!!!!     >:(
309-826-5472   lisa@ccaonline.com