Author Topic: Bennie  (Read 6698 times)

Offline benniesmom

• This is my Bennie, a retired Greyhound
    • Barbara Savage Art of the Animal
Bennie
« on: December 22, 2010, 07:06:17 PM »
When
 Bennie wagged his tail it went in a full circle counter clockwise, so my friends wondered if he was from South America. When he went through his numerous circles to lie down for the night, he did it so his head draped over my ankles.  If I was in the studio, he was, too, and if i was at the computer, he was on the loveseat behind me. If there was someone on the hiking trail to roo about, (Bennie loved to sing) he did. He was quiet and gentle and strong and very beautiful. I would always say that if were stranded on a desert island and I could choose one animal for companionship, Bennie would be the one, hands down. So, for his loyalty and devotion, his intelligence and steadfast good nature, I told him he could go now, and not suffer any more. Heart failure is so terrible. My Jakie died from that, as did both of my stepdads, who where darling men. I don't think it's fair that such kind beings suffer this way. Damn. My heart is broken, again. It will mend, but forgive me if I bitch. This is a little sudden.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 01:23:38 AM by benniesmom »

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
Re: Bennie
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 08:02:05 PM »
You have every right Barb.  Crying for you and Bennie.  How can the sweetest, most loyal of all creatures get the raw end of the deal?  I was mad at God when Sadie died.  I told Him so.  But it was satan, no doubt it was satan.  I refuse to let him win.   
Missing my Sadie

Offline Cosmo

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 02:15:15 AM »
If you want to bi@#$ go right ahead. My wish for you is to be able to move on to treasured memories of your constant companion.
Hugs.
Jacci

Offline benniesmom

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 11:32:30 AM »
why on earth would anyone click on "like" on facebook, when the post is that Bennie has died???? How friggin' dumb is that??? And . now I have read that congestive heart failure can be a side effect of Itra.......  omg ..... it can also be where the blasto is. in the heart....... this is agony.... I feel terrible that maybe the Itra killed my Bennie...  we tried so hard. and now he's gone.....

Wilson3

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 01:42:50 PM »
barb I am soooo sorry! What you did was give Beanie a chance and that is more then what most people do. With any drug there is side effects and "IF" it was the itra that really sucks but... Beanie at least was given the chance to try and fight. you did everything possible.
Did you ever look up info on low albumin? you might want to ....I only say this cause the vet should have seen a red flag... albumin is very important to the body. it helps carry blood to our heart. I only am bring this up to make awareness to others and to maybe think more about your vet. He should have know this. Do NOT blame yourself .
I know I sound like a bitch only for awareness to others I am sorry

You did everything you could and beanie will always be at your side.
wilson3

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_dg_hypoalbuminia   here is a link on albumin

here is another link go about 3/4 down it talks about low albumin

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_glomerulonephritis.html

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 01:54:08 PM by Wilson3 »

Offline benniesmom

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 02:13:05 PM »
his albumin was low at the start...... he probably was in the early stages of heart failure.. that's what we think, anyway, and, the other blood values had improved with the last blood work. We thought this would, too...... that's all.... Ann was concerned about it...... she did her best. I don't blame her. I feel terrible, and have to let it go.. Bennie is gone......
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:32:58 PM by benniesmom »

Offline apope43

• Ready to kick this disease...
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 08:07:28 PM »
I ache for you, and know that the not knowing can drive you crazy, as it must be doing now.  Take faith that you gave your best for Bennie, and that he gave his best for you.
Fighting for Izzy

Offline Niners

• We will always love you, 99!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 08:47:51 PM »
Oh, Barb, I am hurting so much for you tonight. I wish I had something to say. I just know that Bennie was BEAUTIFUL, and he was yours, and I'm glad that you had him. Even if it's killing you right now, I know you're so grateful for his companionship.

I wish this didn't happen. I wish Niners and Sadie and Bennie and all the others were with us. But I'm very grateful to know all of you just a little. I'm thankful that you have cried with me and lifted my spirits. I hope I will be able to do the same for you.

Prayers for you tonight.

ct
Remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth - Gen 9:16
”Dogs` lives are too short. Their only fault, really.” ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 10:27:06 PM »
I looked it up today....Itra can cause heart failure in perfectly healthy humans without any cardiac deficiencies.  So I guess it can cause it in dogs too.  I wish we knew.  So very sorry Barb.  I'll bet Bennie is outrunning Sadie at the Rainbow, chasing the bunnies.  He will have to show her how to catch them.  She never could. 
Missing my Sadie

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 07:05:09 AM »
Barb,

Do you get some comfort knowing Bennie got all those rotisseries and ground beef during his last couple of months?  Dogs love food so much and I am glad Sadie got to have her meat.  My brother and I shared a minpin, Treck.  He was my dad's dog and after my dad passed, we took turns caring for him.  Treck had allergy problems from the time he was a pup.  He stayed on steroids most of his life.  As he grew older, the allergies got worse.  My vet and I tried everything.  We changed the diet, tried the meds that cured most dog's allergy problems, and even did allergy testing and shots.  His allergy tests came back and showed he was allergic to most kids of grasses and pollen - and a lot of other things.  It was aweful.  It scratched so bad that he often became infected.  So he also stayed on antibiotics as well.  When the allergy shots failed to work (we tried for nearly a year) we decided to put him down.  He hurt when anyone even touched him, scratched almost 24/7.  He was miserable.  So the day we did it, my brother took him for a long car ride (he loved to ride) and fed him all kinds of treats.  He even gave him a chocolate bar.  I know - taboo for a dog, but it didn't matter at that point.  So I find some comfort in knowing just an hour before Treck had to go to the rainbow, he got to enjoy some of the things he really loved.  Riding in the car gave him some time to be distracted fromthe itching, and the chocolate....well, he just loved that.  I remember when he ate a whole box of chocolates my dad had gotten for Christmas.  He left them out and went to town.  Treck tore the box open and ate every stinkin chocolate.  He paid for it later on that night with the belly aches and diarrhea, but he loved it.  So his last food was a Hershey bar and a nice ride in the car. 
Missing my Sadie

Offline benniesmom

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 07:18:07 AM »
Yes. I will always remember Bennie's face when I brought out the first rotisserie chicken for him.. He had not wanted to eat anything, but that chicken.. yummmm!! Yes, it does give me comfort....... and that he had me at home all the time.. he was harldy ever without me when he was sick.
Love the Treck story... When I was growing up we had a Boxer named  Frieda, who wate a 15 pound ham my mom had out for a party she was giving...... she blew up and with all that salt she drank all the toilet dry..... And..she got herself into the line up of animals going in to perform at a circus visiting town. An officer of the law brought her home, unable to stop giggling about it.. Ah Dogs.. What would we do without them to lighten our days???

When I first wrote this I said it was Bambi. but it wasn't... it was the next Boxer, Frieda, who was famous for a lot of things. as Boxers often are.....
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 02:17:42 PM by benniesmom »

Offline jefndebbacon

• Winter - miss you....
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 07:05:25 PM »
Hey Barb, you are such a wonderful lady, Bennie was so lucky to have you to love him.  Everything you have written is so beautiful and loving and I just want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.  It is so difficult to lose those that we love - humans or animals.  Thank you for your insight on your losses, your memories and your courage - thank you for sharing all of this with us!

anything