Author Topic: My friends gone this year plus Jakie  (Read 4880 times)

Offline benniesmom

• This is my Bennie, a retired Greyhound
    • Barbara Savage Art of the Animal
My friends gone this year plus Jakie
« on: December 09, 2010, 07:05:54 AM »
here is Lightenup, and here is Mikie.. my computer crashed ayear or so ago and I lost all the photos of Jakie in the files, but I painted him.... here they are.... Jakie in a painting... There are lots of paintings of Lightenup in my website.. and one of Mike, too..

Offline Niners

• We will always love you, 99!
Re: My friends gone this year plus Jakie
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 07:36:28 AM »
Oh, they are beautiful! I have never owned a horse. They are just magnificent creatures! I can only imagine how unbearable that loss would be.

I still remember losing our cat, Clark, the year that we got 99. He was 14 and diabetic. My snuggle bug.

You have quite a gift----to love and paint animals the way that you do. Thank you so much for sharing.

ct
Remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth - Gen 9:16
”Dogs` lives are too short. Their only fault, really.” ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Offline benniesmom

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 07:39:58 AM »
Lightenup was a rescue, too. He had been a fancy show horse, but got an injury or something, and was retired. The person who had him didn't want him at all....... He was six and a handful of spirited horse......He came to me two weeks after my marriage started to crumble and we had separated........He saved my life. Later I saved his...... more than once. He packed me around for 18 years. He was my best friend. I loved him more than I could possibly account for, and when he was having a tougher and tougher time of things, I let him go. I still long for him.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:53:48 PM by benniesmom »

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 09:22:20 AM »
Wow!  Just impressive Barb!
Missing my Sadie

Offline benniesmom

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 03:55:53 PM »
OMG. thank you. I just love how you write about your Sadiie. i love her, too, through you. She really was a lot of doggie. The best!!! And now you have to go through all of this terrible wrenching longing... I'm sorry. And......That's just how it is.
B

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 08:52:44 PM »
Yeah, that's just how it is.  Terrible. It's just heartwrenching terrible. But it's nothing that you haven't gone through yourself.  So glad I got to hear about the others, Jake, Lighteningup, and Mikie.  I would love to hear their stories.  Especially how you and Lightening saved each other.  It's amazing how we all meet under terrible circumstances, not knowing anything about anyone and discover how much more than just our love for animals that we actually have in common.  When I was going through my painful divorce, Sadie was my stronghold.  I knew I had to share time with my son but I didn't have to let him have the dog.  I asked for Sadie - no I actually demanded Sadie - before I asked for anything else.  Before I asked for money, furniture, the house, etc.  She was at the top of my list.  I trained her, we were pals and he knew it.  So once I stated that I get to keep the dog, I never heard another word from him about it.  Dividing up everthing else was easy after that.  I had what I wanted.  Primary custody of my son, and full costody of my dog and I kept all photos since I was the one always behind the camera.  He got the bimbo and a new house with all of the furniture.  I had the better deal.  I really really did. 
Missing my Sadie

Offline Niners

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 06:28:27 AM »
Shelley:

You did get the better deal, dear. Sorry for all that stuff, but grateful you have a beautiful boy and such great memories of Sadie.

This has been so helpful for me---all the stories, all the sharing, all the great advice when I was trying to fight to save Niners. Burping dogs, dogs in the snow, dogs under the bed, dogs walking backwards, dogs in the closet, dogs who drink tea and dogs who drink coffee... I think we have the makings of a wonderful children's book! I need to collaborate with Bennies mom, we could illustrate it together! haha. When I was little, my favorite book was "Go Dog Go." Ok, I know, not a literary masterpiece, but I wore that book to shreds. Literally. I could not wait to get to the end... the big dog party on the tree. I would just stay on that page forever. I've always looked at certain trees and thought, "now that is a dog party tree!" If you don't know it, get it. Pure joy. I read it to 99 the day before she died. I think she liked it too.

Have a great day.

ct
Remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth - Gen 9:16

Offline jiggasmom

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 01:43:14 PM »
definitely got the better deal.

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 02:00:07 PM »
OMG CT, we must be related as well as our Aussies.  I have always wanted to write a children's book about Sadie.  I even have one in my mind titled "Sadie goes to school".  She did go to school, obedience, agility, and therapy dog.  She learned so much.  I just don't know anything about writing books.  You may have stumbled onto something here, maybe just maybe we could all do it together.  Hmmmmm....Think about it.  I have thousands of pictures of Sadie and you probably have thousands of 99.  We could do this.  We really could.  Kids were always fascinated with Sadie because of her looks.  Spots everywhere - all over her face.  They loved her.  And the stories we have - well it just might work.  I'm just not the artist.  I did a little in high school but not since then. 

BTW - I just got off the phone with a breeder in MO.  I am planning to get another Aussie in Feb.  She knows what I want.  More details later.  Tyler, my son, has a birthday at the end of feb and I think I'll be ready then. 
Missing my Sadie

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 02:02:48 PM »
And yes, we have Go Dog Go.  We have lots of dog books.  When Tyler was born I decorated his nursery with puppies.  We went to a book fair in Oct at his school and bought several more puppy books.  It was my choice, because that's just what I wanted to read to him. 
Missing my Sadie

Offline Niners

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 08:34:33 PM »
I love that I can see Sadie's picture now. Sweet girl.

"Sadie Goes to School" and "99 Takes a Walk" could be the first 2 in a series! haha

We have walked the same trail about 5 or 6 days a week for 7 years now. We have seen and met so many interesting characters---both human and dog. It would make a great story since Niners loved to say "hello" to them all. If I ever stopped and let go the leash, she and Cowboy would just continue down the trail, harnessed up and dragging the leash. They would stop and look back like, "are you coming or what?"

Cowboy is laying at my feet having quite a dream right now. That will be book #3, "Cowboy Has a Dream."

Barb, you must have some ideas after all the animals you have been painting!

ct

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 08:48:20 PM »
Yes, the dreams....Sadie had them all the time.  I was used to them.  She growled in her sleep and barked too.  She never opened her mouth though, so her barks were quiet and muffled.  I always figured she was dreaming of chasing the bunnies.  We have several in the neighborhood.  She never got to catch them though.  They were smarter and faster than her.  So maybe in her dreams she was catching them. 

Yes, books would be nice.  A wonderful tribute to our beautiful pups.  I can't think of anything nicer.  Books that would make children and their parents smile. 
Missing my Sadie

Offline benniesmom

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 05:13:38 AM »
I dunno, ct.......am really thinking you would be the one to illustrate...... that's one of my ideas. i have done a ton of animals......I love the idea. but. I haven't had my coffee yet. I'll think about it with my coffee!!!

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 10:45:03 PM »
so Barb, how was the coffee?  Good huh?  yeah.....hopefully good enough to open your mind to the idea.  It's great.  Your pictures are amazing....and our stories, your stories.... well they just go together.  Have another cup and enjoy.   ;D
Missing my Sadie

Richardzext

My friends gone this year plus Jakie
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2016, 02:55:11 PM »
Is there any way to filter through on the occupancy report a YTD last year vs. YTD this year for a percentage of reservations taken in? Just trying to compare years.

anything