Author Topic: a horrible disease  (Read 4998 times)

Offline odafry

a horrible disease
« on: December 05, 2010, 06:01:58 AM »
I had to put down this week my beautiful afghan Seri who contacted blasto somewhere.  She got sick suddenly and I got her started on meds but she just couldnt fight it.  Her only signs to start had been a slight cough and the day she was so sick a fever.  This site has been a comfort as it is so hard to lose them-and for myself even harder as I am my owns dogs vet-I have to be the one to make the decision and then follow through and end their suffering!  Such a nasty disease- I am sending out prayers for those whose dogs are fighting this and I send my sympathy to those who have lost a dog to this!  Go run free Seri and catch those bunnies!  Dr. Cheryl and Shorty

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
Re: a horrible disease
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 06:17:02 AM »
So sorry to hear about Seri.  I pray for peace, strength, and comfort for you.  I have always loved dogs, and often wished I had gone to school for veterniary medicine instead of nursing.  But somehow I don't think I could have been able to do the job.  I just can't imagine how one could find the strength to euthanize pets.  Some dogs are probably brought to you not even sick and you still have to do it because of their owner's request.  It is heartbreaking.  Animals are so innocent, just like little children.  No - it's easier doing what I do, we do everything we can do to save a human life and I never have to go home from work doubting that I did my best to care for someone.  Occaisionally we have the family that tells us to "let them go", but we still don't have to euthanize.  these people are already in a state of unconsciousness and it is easier to watch them pass.  But pets?  I just couldn't do it.  Same thing with kids, I can't work in a children's hospital.  I just wouldn't be able to handle that.  Kuddos to you,  Thank you for giving our furry friends a chance to survive.  And thank you for being one of those to help us make the decisions we have to make to end our loved ones suffering.  It takes a very special person to be a vet.  Again, so sorry for your loss.
Missing my Sadie

Offline Niners

• We will always love you, 99!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 09:54:31 AM »
Dr. Cheryl:

So, so sorry to hear about your girl, Seri. What a beautiful breed afghans are! Glad that you found this message board, but so sad you discovered the blasto late. We did too, and lost our sweet 99 one month ago. Sending you prayers and warm wishes during a sad time.

ct
Remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth - Gen 9:16
”Dogs` lives are too short. Their only fault, really.” ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Offline odafry

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 02:45:10 PM »
thanks to everyone- it has been a hard month we also lost our therapy cat due to a heart condition and now Seri.  She really showed not much in the way of signs of blasto but she must have been too advanced.  She put up a good fight but just couldnt  beat it.  Thanks for all the kind words.  Dr. Cheryl  Shorty

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 04:47:58 PM »
If you don't mind Dr. Cheryl, could you review the symptoms and treatments  you went through with Suri when you diagnosed and started treatment, and what was it that made you decide to euthanize?  It could help alot of people on here to know how bad it can get and when it's time to do the right thing.
Missing my Sadie

Offline odafry

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 03:32:19 AM »
She had been just fine- on a sat and I had her ready for a dog show- even took a video of her and Shorty playing in the yard- Sunday we got up and she could hardly walk- breathing fast and had violent chills.  I can treat things at home so started fluids antibiotics etc  and got the fever down.  Not eating and hardly able to get down the stairs.  She lasted about 10 days- she had a fever that would show up almost daily despite antibiotics and antifungal.  Appetite was bad- she would eat one time then go hours without.  Nothing would tempt her.  She had acupuncture and then her belly started to swell- liver enzymes were up- her urine test was positive- she kept having fluids build up and despite all the meds she had to take- she then on the last day began to vomit blood-she was on an antiulcer stomach protectant but it wasnt helping.  I guess because I see many animals suffering from things- I saw the look in her eyes- she was too tired to fight it.  I think she also may have had cancer along with blasto but I didnt are to do an autopsy.  Her cough got worse thru the days and her breathing was always very rapid and somewhat labored at the end.  Plus as an afghan she was a normally thin dog but with all this going on- she became emaciated-and she was always a good eater.  She knew she was thru and so did I!  Dr. Cheryl

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 06:27:14 AM »
Wow!  How stoic dogs really are.  Sadie's breathing started out larbored all of a sudden too.  She had a mild cough for 2 weeks that never really concerned me, but she remained active and ate.  Once the appetite stopped, and it stopped suddenly without warning, I knew something was wrong and got her into the vets that day.  Her chest x-ray was filled with snow white effect. They told me that day it was either cancer or fungus.  They started her on anti-fungals with antibiotics.  Her breathing because fast and labored and she went downhill quickly also. I started her on steriods myself as a last ditch effort because her breathing was so bad 2 nights after our vet appt.  She made quite a turn around and started eating again.  But the breathing continued to be rapid and shallow. Labored only when she lay down.  We were hoping for something else, but when the urine test came back negative, our hopes were diminishing despite the turn around on steriods.  Her last night she could  only sleep under an hour at a time and she had to stand up to breathe easier.  That's when I made the decision.   She had low platelets and was anemic and I knew in my heart it was cancer.  We did an USG and it was negative for tumors in her chest and abdomen, but my vet did a lung biopsy after I put her down and it came back as hemangiosarcoma.  She was just 1 month shy of her 8th birthday.  I will be forever glad I gave her the steriods, it made her last 10 days better.  She ate everything she wanted, mostly people food, but she enjoyed it so.  The steriods didn't stop her cancer, it didn't slow it down, but it really did improve her quality for the last 10 days.  I put her down before she could start any reall suffering.  As hard as it was, I just loved her too much to see her go through that. 

Thank you for responding.  We all want to know when it's right, and how symptoms can appear differently in this illness. 

Shelley
Missing my Sadie

Offline odafry

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 03:34:09 AM »
and believe me she was not a stoic dog!  But she sure hid it well- her really only cough would come when she snitched the puppy's rawhide and tried to gag it down- otherwise she really coughed like an other dog-she had slowed down but still liked to walk-just like everyone here- miss her terribly so hug your furkids!   Dr. Cheryl  & Shorty

Offline jefndebbacon

• Winter - miss you....
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 06:44:03 PM »
Thanks Dr. Cheryl for sharing your story. I am so sorry for your loss.  It is never easy.  My sympathy and hugs, Deb

Offline Cosmo

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 08:08:26 AM »
I hug my pup daily and thank the world he is still here.  I read your stories and feel your pain.  All of you have a story to tell that hopefully can educate people out there about this nasty fungus.
Jacci

anything