Author Topic: 99 and snow  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Niners

• We will always love you, 99!
99 and snow
« on: December 04, 2010, 09:56:38 AM »
So today is our first snowfall of the season. It's beautiful, and Cowboy and I are about to go for a hike. But I'm feeling a little blue about it because I'm afraid snow will never be the same without 99.

Niners LOVED the snow. I mean she LOVED it. Probably because I love it and get very excited to see a fresh snowfall. She would watch out the window until she couldn't wait any longer. Then she would go to the front door and bark. She would run down the steps and run into the yard, putting her head in and snowplowing around. She would sneeze and snort like a horse. She would give me that smile and look, like "how can you just stand there? come out and play!" I used to tease my daughters that they were never as excited to play in the snow as 99. She and Cowboy would run and chase until they were frosty and frozen and ready for a nap.

The first winter that we had her, she was so little and fluffy, she looked like a panda bear. We would build snow forts and tunnels for her in the yard. She would play and play. And I'm pretty sure that she always preferred winter over summer. I would try to keep her paws trimmed so that they wouldn't ice up on our walks and hikes, but it was hard. She had those big hairy feet! Once I bought her and Cowboy boots. She would have none of that! So then I would take a little can of pam cooking spray on our snowshoeing adventures. I would spray her feet to keep the snow from sticking. It was a such a pain. But I would give anything to have that hassle today.

I wasn't ready for how much the snow would make me miss her today.  :'( :'( :'(

ct
Remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth - Gen 9:16
”Dogs` lives are too short. Their only fault, really.” ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Offline jefndebbacon

• Winter - miss you....
Re: 99 and snow
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 09:43:49 PM »
Hey CT, me too, missing our Winter who really did love Winter!  (the season and herself being the Princess of our household!).  It was very sad today to throw snowballs for only one dog, instead of two.  Thank goodness that Winter taught Terra (our current shelter rescue) to appreciate a good snowball!  Today my husband and I burned several piles of brush.  It was a good day, with a continuing snowfall, and the wind was usually going straight up, and not too strong.  Terra had great fun tugging on the branches that I was "trying" to carry to the burning piles.  Had to make her snowballs for her to chase, so 3 pairs of wet mittens later, we were doing ok!  Felt like a nap at about 2pm!  Then off to a community event to help represent GRRoW (Golden Retriever Rescue of Wisconsin). I was able to have several Golden fixes, with lots of kisses, including a young pup!  Gosh, I miss our Golden, Winter, so much!  Blasto is too hard to deal with.  I still miss her so much after 9 months.  This time around I chose fostering, so we will be helping Goldens find their forever homes.  It may end up being our home! LOL!  Hugs, Deb

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 10:12:13 PM »
CT,

Although We never get much snow here in the south, I still understand your sadness.  I can truely say I do.  It's those small things - not what we take for granted, because we remember and treasure those memories, but the small things that they do that tug at your heart and bring you so much joy.  I never took for granted my coming home to Sadie waiting on me.  I'd start thinking about her on my ride home from work, and as I pulled into the garage, I knew she was right behind the door waiting on me to come through.  As much as she loved to go out front and play around while I went to the mailbox, she never went through the door without a huge greeting for me first.  I always noticed and adored those little things.  It's hard CT, I know.  And you are not alone in your grief.  I share it with you.  It's 12 days now without Sadie and I miss her so very much.  I don't think there will ever be a day go by that I don't miss her.  And to be honest. I don't want to ever NOT miss her.  I never knew I could love a dog so much. 

Deb,  How do you foster a dog and not get attached?  That's something I've always thought of, but never could do because I was afraid I would get attached to them and wouldn't be able to give them away.  One time my DH brought home 2 lab puppies that he found abandoned and we kept them for a week trying to find a home.  We couldn't so we had to bring them to the shelter, which of course they found homes quickly because they were just little pups.  But I cried when they left and even put together a scrapbook of them, and we'd only had them 1 week.  I knew we couldn't keep them, we already had Sadie and I knew they would grow up to be very big dogs.  We just couldn't have 3 big ones in our house, and i don't like the idea of having dogs stay outside all the time.  It's something I would love to get involved in but the attachment factor keeps me from doing anything. 

Hugs to you both

Shelley
Missing my Sadie

Offline jefndebbacon

• Winter - miss you....
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 10:38:40 PM »
Hi Shelley, I know how you feel.  Too hard to even describe. But as time goes on, it gets easier, trust me!  I still cry for Winter, and feel so helpless that we could not save her from Blasto.  But I know that we did everything we could to try and save her. that'
s all we can do  I also worry that Terra may get Blasto. Lots of emotions here! As for fostering, it will be in Winter's memory.  I have not gone through the process yet but I will keep in mind what is best for the animal.  If they love kids, then they need to go to a home with kids.  If they love to run, then they need a place where they can safely do so.  If they just want to be loved and are low energy, then maybe a senior can enjoy them.  I will have the ability to decide on their future and direct them to their forever home, or, keep them if I fall in love and cannot give them up.  I just love them so much!  So, this is my calling, thanks to Winter, and our past other Goldens.  I can hopefully help some Goldens find good homes. Fostering is not for everyone - so, when the time is right, think about what you want to do.  Whatever you decide, another dog will be lucky to have you to love him/her.  Hugs.  Deb