Author Topic: If it should be...  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
    • lisa.blog
If it should be...
« on: December 01, 2010, 06:42:04 PM »
IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be, that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this, the last battle can't be won.
You will be sad - I understand,
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love and friendship stand the test.
We've had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want to suffer so,
When the time comes, please let me go.
Take me where my needs they'll tend,
Only please, stay with me until the end.
Hold me very firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes can no longer see.
I know in time you too will see
It is a kindness that you do to me.
Although my tail its last has moved
From pain and suffering I've been saved.
Don't grieve that it should be you
Who has to decide this thing to do.
We've been so close - we two these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
~Anonymous

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
Re: If it should be...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 07:26:31 PM »
Beautiful peom Lisa.  It bring tears to my eyes.  I read something like that several years ago, when Sadie was healthy and young.  I couldn't stand the thought of ever getting to the day when I would have to make a decision like that.  I haven't been able to read anything like that since.  But now I was forced to do what the poem said and I did it.  It was the most difficult thing I've ever done.  I did it a little differently though.  My vet knew how hard it was on me and he tried to get me to drop Sadie off with him.  He promised that he would do it the minute I walked out the door.  I couldn't stand the thought of her last moments - Sadie watching me walk out on her.  No way.  He was going to let me stay if I really wanted to and I really did want to be with her until the very end.  As hard as it was, I didn't want to abandon her.  So he came up with another solution.  I could drive her there, he would come out and sedate her while she was in my car.  He told me to think about it and call him back.  That's what I decided to do.  I had my best friend drive us there, he came out and gave her a shot in her hip.  She fell asleep in my lap in the front seat of the car.  I held her and talked to her and of course cried as she fell asleep.  It took about 5 minutes but they waited for 10.  Then they carried her inside and euthanized her.  Her last waking moments I was with her.  I will always wish I had enough strength to stay with her until the VERY end, but am also glad that she didn't have her last memory of going into the vet's office, which always brought on a little anxiety.  her last memory and sensation was me holding her and loving her.  I do regret the wailing I did at home before I brought her.  After I made the decision and got off of the phone with her vet, I screamed so very loudly in my house.  I had so much sorrow to unleash and I did it right in front of her.  I wished I had waited to do it after.
Missing my Sadie

Offline jefndebbacon

• Winter - miss you....
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 10:58:56 PM »
Lisa, thanks for sharing this poem and your links.  Thanks for starting and maintaining this website.  You are awesome!  Deb

Offline DaysOfSummer

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 07:12:25 PM »
What a truly moving poem.  It brought tears to my eyes as well.  You have a way with words.  Thank you for sharing it.