Author Topic: Sadie  (Read 20825 times)

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
Re: Sadie
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 10:29:11 PM »
Thank you Deb,  I will get a new pup again someday.  Right now It's just too soon.  I need to grieve Sadie before I feel like I can be fair to a new dog.  I would hate to rush into it and try to compare a new dog to Sadie.  I'm hoping that by early spring I'll be ready.  Thank you for caring so much.  I'm glad to have met so many people who really do understand how much it hurts to lose a pet.  Sadie was my girl.  I always referred to her as my first child and everyone who knew me knew how special she was to me.  I know you understand.  I am sorry about your loss and Winter's death too.  I know it was very hard.  I really do understand. 

Shelley
Missing my Sadie

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 10:15:28 PM »
Well today it has been 2 weeks I've been without my Sadie Lou.  I still miss her terribly.  It's getting easier.  Instead of crying all day, I just have my moments.  Driving home from work is hard, because I'm coming home to her not being there - and I have to drive past our vets office, it's unavoidable.  I was taking out the trash tonight, and turned around expecting to see her at my feet waiting to go out with me.  Those little things are hard to take sometimes.  There is still a fraction of a second every morning when I wake up and I look for her, but am quickly reminded she's not here.  I usually have about a 5 minute crying spell at night before I go to bed, but I am able to think about her during the day and smile at the wonderful memories we shared together.  I just want to hug her so bad.  She got me through a very heart-breaking divorce.  I could bad-mouth my ex and she didn't mind a bit (something I couldn't do with my son).  It was so very therapeutic to get those feelings off my chest.  She never minded to long winded stories.  Dogs have so much more value than most people give them.  The ringing doorbell is hard.  There's no barking when someone comes over.  I know all about Rainbow Bridge, and I sooooo hope it's true.  I really want to see my Sadie Lou again someday.   I can't imagine God wouldn't allow them to be with us for eternity.  Once they take a place in our hearts, they become a part of us.  So I have to believe that she will be there waiting for me - with a soccer ball in her mouth no doubt.
Missing my Sadie

Offline apope43

• Ready to kick this disease...
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 11:27:10 AM »
First visit to this side of our family.  Shelley, thank you so much for your foresight in asking to start this board.  I've had quite a few dogs (and cats, and horses, and other furry ones) over the years, and each one had a different life, a different end, and held a different place in my heart.  I can't pretend to know the heartbreak you're going through because each bond is so different. 

Our Casey girl (Izzy's big sister) is 16 - she has been Ken's unfailing companion since she was 10 weeks old.  During a particularly dark period after he left the military I truly believe she saved his life.  He would not be here without her depending on him.  A very special dog, indeed.  You mentioned reading the conversion charts at the vet -- I do it every time.  Our pup is 119 in human years, so we know our day is coming.  Ironically, she's the most active animal we have.  Our little superdog - still running (short distances), still climbing stairs (with breaks), still playing (just make sure she can still catch you), and still smiling (always).  She has lumps now - fatty lumpomas that aren't dangerous, just annoying.  But every time a new one crops up we prepare ourselves for the worst.  Her back legs shake after long days, but it doesn't seem to bother her too much.  We've been lucky so far. 

I'm grateful to you, both for your support as we fight blasto with Izzy, and for this place to come if and when, God forbid, we face these decisions for our girls.  For all of you, please...continue to tell your stories, they are wonderful and give us a glimpse into the beautiful lives these pups lived.  You write with tears, we read with the same.  We laugh at the hijinks with you and are grateful to know that our friends experienced such profound love with their dogs.  And will be grateful for the day when we can come here to tell our own stories, to laugh and cry all over again.

I lost my Dad in April, and grew frustrated when people would tell me it would get easier with time.  I think it's a lie.  It's never easy living without the ones we love, who hold us close in their hearts and give all the love they have just to see us smile.  It's doesn't get easier.  Just...different. 

With love and appreciation,
AP
Fighting for Izzy

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 12:33:27 PM »
AP this place has really helped me so much.  Like I said, I can talk about Sadie and cry as much as I want.  And nobody has to hear it unless they choose to read.  And it's free.  Rainbow Bridge website wants to charge you to have a memorial for your dog.  Most of us are wiped out after the vet bills.  And the people that read, are the ones you initially made contact with when your pup was still alive and just starting to fight the fight.  So they have been with me from day one.   

I was thinking today about another Sadie story.  Last Feb, I was planning my son's 5th birthday party.  I made up gift bags ahead of time and filled them with a few goodies including some candy.  All sugary candy.  Smarties, licorice, and those notorious pixie sticks.  Sadie was right there when I put them all together and never once bothered them, not even a little sniff.  Well they sat in the corner of my bedroom for the next week - waiting on the party.  Several days went by and thought nothing of them.  Then finally I had to go to work one day.  Yep, you guessed it....Sadie had a little party all to herself that day.  I came home and found candy wrappers all over the floor.  She ate every stinking piece!!  I am so very glad I didn't have any chocolate in there.  The next day she left me a nice little thank you gift on the floor.  Doggie diarrhea everywhere!   Kind of reminds me of the time I walked into the kitchen to find Sadie and Tyler (my son) sharing a huge chocolate cake.  I bought one at Costco for my bunco that night.  And if you know Costco, their cakes are huge, and full of chocolate.  It was chocolate cake with chocolate cream filling, chocolate frosting, and chocolate shavings.  You have to have a gallon of milk to even take a bite.  Well....there I walk...into the kitchen to find chocolate cake all over Sadie and Tyler, not to mention all over the kitchen.  I threw them both out the back door while I cleaned up and calmed down.  When it was all over with, I remembered I had to call the vet.  It was just about closing time for them so the on call vet called me back.  He told me if I had some peroxide and a turkey baster I could save a trip to the emergency vet.  I gave her a little and within 5 minutes I had chocolate cake all over the back yard.  She vomited up every bit of it.  I still had to get it cleaned out of the yard so she wouldn't re-eat it.  I knew who was the one who got the cake off the counter that day.  Tyler was just still a bit too short to reach that high up.  I hope there's chocolate cake in heaven, because you loved it so much Sadie Lou!!
Missing my Sadie

Offline Niners

• We will always love you, 99!
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 03:05:51 PM »
Chocolate cake for Sadie, and pizza for Niners. I remember purchasing a couple x-large "design it yourself" gourmet pizzas for the family, and my parents who were visiting us. We got all the fixings ready and had them out on the table and the oven pre-heating. I came around the corner to find 99 standing up at the table, dragging an entire pizza down for a snack! Oh, I was SOOOOO mad at her! I will never forget her profile with that huge pizza hanging out of her mouth!

ct
Remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth - Gen 9:16
”Dogs` lives are too short. Their only fault, really.” ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 03:45:53 PM »
Haha, I can see her now.  Pizza bigger than her head in her mouth, looking up at you like "What?".  Sadie never looked at me when she stole food.  She was too busy eating and knew I was gonna try and take it away, so she chomped as fast as she could.  But the time I walked into the kitchen and saw her standing up on the table - all 4 legs on the table - eating out of a bowl of oatmeal, I couldn'd help but to laugh.  I was so shocked, I didn't even get mad.  I grabbed the camera, took a quick shot, and then picked her up and put her on the floor.  I didn't want any additional claw marks on the table.   But that memory is a favorite of my son's.  Tonight after school he wanted to tell Sadie stories, so I told him about the chocolate cake fiasco since he partook in it too, and he told me about Sadie standing on the table eating his oats.  I told him we might think about getting a new pup for his Birthday next year.  His eyes lit up.  So I am thinking maybe by the end of Feb.  But we've got to pratice puppy proofing the house.  He wasn't around when Sadie was just a pup, so he doesn't know how they chew on everything.  I told him that he might lose a few toys and he didn't like that idea.  So it's an encouraging reinforcer to get him to pick up his toys. 

It's weird sweeping the kitchen floor.  There's food crumbs now and no dog hair.  Usually it was the other way around.  Sadie ate the crumbs my son dropped and I had to sweep the dog hair up.  Kind of heartbreaking.  I wish I had to sweep the hair instead of crumbs.
Missing my Sadie

Offline jefndebbacon

• Winter - miss you....
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 05:55:50 PM »
Oh how funny!  I once had a dog, many years ago, who took all of the hot dogs off of the grill!  Surprise!  No dinner for us!  Great memories!  Thanks for sharing your wonderful memories of Sadie.  She sounds like she was a great dog.  And how lucky she was to have you!  Hugs,  Deb

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 04:27:31 PM »
I just got through sweeping the kitchen floor - again.  What a difference a dog makes.  Food crumbs everywhere, left behind by my 5 yr old.  Sadie was a good floor cleaner.  And running the vacuum - usually I could run it one time and had to empty the cannister because it picked up so much dog hair.  I've ran it for over a week now and haven't had to empty it yet.  I'd trade it all in a heartbeat. Sadie could clean the kitchen floor and I would have to empty the vacuum cannister daily. 

Another Sadie memory - drinking tea....Several years back when we went for rides in the car I would always bring a glass of tea with me.  I'm a tea addict.  If I turned my head Sadie would drink it all up the first chance she got.  One time I had a diet coke in a cup instead.  I tried to warn her as I saw the infamous tongue heading over for my cup.  Just as I was trying to tell her NO, she spit it out all over my car!!   I knew the carbonation in the coke would throw her for a loop.  I started buying styrofoam cups with lids on them from then on.  She couldn't get my tea.  She hadn't had it in years, but just 2 nights before I brought her to the vet for the first time something made me give her some.  Old memories still alive in my heart.  I hope I never forget anything about her.  If I do, then at least I can come back here in my golden years and read about them.  It's kind of like my own personal journal, one I can share with you all. 

Missing my Sadie

Offline Niners

• We will always love you, 99!
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 06:31:01 AM »
I love it! A tea drinking dog!

Just the other day, Cowboy drank the bottom bit of my latte! An old 99 trick, that he never would have done before. He's more interested in food, treats etc. and I think it is just because he has moved up a notch in the food chain at our house. Niners was definitely the food motivated dog. He just went along for the ride.

I have to share this, Shelley. 99 was a burping dog. People would crack up when they heard it. We were just used to it. But she did it even as a little puppy. She would belch loudly and it sounded human! I have never once heard Cowboy belch. Until last night! We were having dinner, he walked into the kitchen and belched loudly. The whole family turned to look and we were so surprised, laughed and got teary eyed. I swear sometimes he is turning into her! hahaha

Oh the dog hair. Don't I know it. Too bad dog hair sweaters aren't the rage. I would be a wealthy woman!

ct
Remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth - Gen 9:16
”Dogs` lives are too short. Their only fault, really.” ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 06:41:44 AM »
OK CT, the more and more I read about 99 I am convinced they were meant to be together, they must have been related.  Sadie belched too.  It was something that always made my son laugh.  She would eat her food and then let out a good one.  One time she ate and then took off running in the house and stopped to belch and then took off again.  My son wasn't at home at the time but when I told him about it, he laughed and laughed.  It quickly became one of his favorite Sadie stories also.  I can see it now.....99 and Sadie over at Rainbow bridge together having belching contests.   What ladies they are!!  :D
Missing my Sadie

Offline benniesmom

• This is my Bennie, a retired Greyhound
    • Barbara Savage Art of the Animal
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 06:53:20 AM »
This belching story between you two has me laughing out loud!!! Thank you !

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 10:45:25 AM »
Sadie's health history:

Sadie was a very active pup, always active and loved being petted.  Over the years we had been at the vet's office for lots of minor little things.  Here's a recap of her health:

First trip for an illness was a false pregnancy after her first and only heat.  We had her fixed and that took care of that.  She was almost a year old.

2 or 3 times I had her in for an allergic reaction after her first birthday.  I was when I would take her to get her groomed and she ended up breaking out in a rash a few days later.  The treatment was steriod injections.   I ended up grooming her myself and used only puppy shampoo and no perfumes. 

Several years went by with nothing but a bee sting to her face for which she had to get yet another steriod injection. 

At about 5-6 yrs old she started getting ear hematomas.  She had about 4 of them in a year and a half's time.  The first 3 were treated with a local steriod injection into the hematoma itself. By the time we had the 4th one, we decided to just do the surgery which stopped those.  Everytime her ears looked great, no infections.  She didn't do a lot of head shaking so my vet was stummped as to why she was getting them. 

Years 6-7 we faught off 3 foot infections (toe infections)  These were due to uknown cause also.  they were localized to just one toe.  It started with my noticing her licking her foot, and some swelling around the nailbed of just one toe.  Yeast was inbetween the toes usually from all the licking.  Treatment was antifungals, anti yeast creams or powders, and antibiotics.  These all cleared up within 2-6 weeks each.  The last one was July 2010. 

By the end of Oct 2010, at almost 8 years old, mild dry cough 2-3 times a day noticed.  Lack of appetite showed up by early Nov.  Chest x-ray taken Nov. 10th.  Lungs full of cancer or blasto.  Started on antifungals immediately.  Labored breathing started late that night.  2 days later blasto test came back negative and CBC revealed anemia and thrombocytopenia.  Really labored breathing by then and started on steriods.  Quite a big turnaround from there, but never back to her normal self.  Started noticing a decline again after started weaning the steriods.  labored breathing off and on for almost 2 weeks, getting slightly progressively worse.  No real improvement.  Put her down and gave her peace on Nov. 22, 2010.  5 days later lung biospy revealed hemangiosarcoma.  A rapid and  fatal type of cancer in dogs. 

I guess I am wondering with all the steriod injections if it over time lowered her immune system.  They were all in response to some sort of illness, but over her lifetime it seems like she's had a lot of them.  I remember the endless nights of getting up to take her potty every few hours.  Making sure I kept her water bowl filled up.  It seems like everytime we went there she was getting some sort of medication plus a steriod shot.  I would always cringe when the vet came back in the room and told me he'd given her a steriod shot.  I knew it would mean pottying in the house when I was gone and getting up all night long when I was home.  I think with my next dog, I'm gonna try other alternatives.  But it is amazing that the one medication I hated the most was the one I chose to give her in the end.  It was the one that made her last days better.  it was the one that gave her energy and an appetite back.  It was the one that without - she would have suffered.   It was her poison as well as her lifesaver.  Just thinking about it all today. 
Missing my Sadie

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 11:27:11 AM »
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention to steriod shot she got for a rash she got to her privates in Sept this year.  We had yet another injection plus a cream.  I'm gonna have to talk to my vet and he will have to get my permission to give steriods in the future. 
Missing my Sadie

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2010, 10:24:52 PM »
Tomorrow is 3 weeks I've been without my Sadie Lou.  The pain is easing up, but the love and emptiness is still there.  Everyone keeps asking me what I want for Chirstmas.  Truth is, all I want is my Sadie back.  My beautiful girl, I want her back so very bad.  But I can't have her.  All of the little things I've wanted this year, I can't even think of anymore.  The one thing I want is the one thing no one can give me.  So my list is empty.  I can't think of a thing. 

Whaen Sadie was younger I did take her to the groomers to get her hair cut.  I bathed her and brushed her hair often, but when she needed a little trim I took her in.  I loved the way they cut her hair.  She was so pretty and smelled so nice when I got her back.  But the more she got attached to me, the harder it was to take her and leave her.  She hated me leaving her.  And when I showed back up - I had to sit on the floor before they brought her out because she was going to knock me over with excitement when she saw me.  And to tell you the truth, I think I was equally excited to see her too.  But eventually I bought some clippers and taught myself how to groom her.  It was much cheaper and I actually enjoyed it.  It was kind of therapeutic cutting her hair.  Bathing wasn't fun.  Sadie was NOT a water dog.  She would hide underneath the bed at the mere mention of a bath.  When we were doing agility training during the summer months, the trainer would have a doggie pool out.  All of  the dogs would line up, jump in and dip down to cool themselves off.  Some would even go play in the sprinkler for a while.  Not my Sadie.  I had to pick her up and put her into the pool.  She locked her knees and refused to dip down.  So I would have to splash some water up on her belly to cool her off.  A couple of times I threw her into the shower with me.  She hated that.  She even hated umbrellas when it rained.  IF I had to take her out when it was raining, I had to wear a hoodie or something because if I put up an umbrella, she'd get scared.  It really did make the rain sound louder.  My little scaredy cat.  I loved it how she'd hide during storms and come peeking around the corner to make sure I was ok, then trott back into the bedroom to get under the bed.

Hide and seek - I played it with my son when he was 2 and 4.  She gave me away everytime because she was my shadow.  One time I hid behind the curtains and there she was standing on the other side wagging her tail.  One time I hid underneath the bed and she hid with me with her butt hanging out.  And the closet?  forget it.  She was always on the other side of the door giving me away.  But it was ok, because my son was young and he needed the help finding me.  Oh what memories we made together.  The one thing I hope I never lose.  Lord don't ever let me get Alzheimer's.  Don't take away my Sadie and Tyler memories. 

Missing my Sadie

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 09:49:40 PM »
Making some progress here.  Yesterday it was 3 weeks since Sadie has been gone and 2 days since I really cried for her.  Doesn't mean I still don't miss her badly, butI noticed I was able to talk about her and really smile about it at work the past 2 days.  I had a patient that told me about his dog, and boy I went to town telling him all about Sadie.  And not one tear came out of my eye.  I was smiling showing off her picture on my cell phone.  Good memories.....I have tons of them.  No, they were great memories.  Really great.  OK, now I am going to cry.  Thinking of the fact that all I have left are memories made me cry a little.  I'm glad to have the memories.....and the hundreds of pictures.
Missing my Sadie

anything