Author Topic: Sadie  (Read 20782 times)

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
Sadie
« on: December 01, 2010, 05:40:12 AM »
Oh how I miss my beautiful girl, Sadie Lou.  She was just Sadie when we brought her home at 4 months old.  But our neighbor started calling her Sadie Lou, and it just stuck.  My sweet sweet Sadie Lou....I really miss you so very much girl.  9 days you've been gone from me and I'l lost without you.  Oh how I want you to come running around the corner to come follow me out to get the paper.  I wouldn't even mind if you took extra long coming back in because you had to stop and smell all the little critters that came through our yard overnight.  The mailman didn't know you died last week, because he left you a crunchy bone in the mailbox.  I guess I will have to catch him one day and let him know. 

It's so hard, I don't want to go anywhere because that just means at some point I have to come home and not get your huge welcome I always got.  When the alarm clock goes off, you're not there crawling up on my pillow whining for a petting session.  I'm not sure what your favorite thing was....your soccer ball, balloons, your greeenies, chasing the bunnies, or being petted.  I think they all rank up there the same.  I miss you so very much Sadie....I love you!!
Missing my Sadie

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
    • lisa.blog
Re: Sadie
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 06:54:39 AM »
Sadie sounds like a wonderful dog.

Coming home to an empty house is so hard. I remember just wanting to hear my dog's familiar bark as he ran to the door to greet me.  My heart ache was cushioned when my cat took over the role of the dogs and started coming to greet me at the door after work.

I sympathize with your mailman story.  I avoided my newspaper delivery lady because I didn't want to have to explain why the dogs weren't there to greet her at the gate anymore.

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:57:32 AM »
Sadie loved balloons.  When I had my son's first birthday party I blew up several balloons and had them scattered all over the floor for him to play with.  While I was in the kitchen getting ready to serve the cake, I heard alot of laughter coming from the living room.  I peeked around the corner and Sadie was entertaining everyone.  Someone decided to grab a balloon  and pop it up in the air.  She was all game.  She started jumping up to get the balloon and everytime she tried to grab it, her nose would hit it popping it back up into the air.  She would do this as long as the balloon stayed up.  Once it got to the ground she would pounce on it until it popped.  That was one of her favorite games to play.  From that day forward, we couldn't have balloons at my house unless they were for Sadie.  My son knew that and he took it well.  We enjoyed blowing one up for her from time to time and letting her have some fun.  I had to put her outside before I could even get the balloon out because if I blew one up in front of her she would dig her claws into you trying to climb your body to get to it.  On rainy days, that was some good exercise for her.  She couldn't get out and play with her soccer ball much, but we did let her jump for a balloon.  We had to move all of the furniture out of the way because she was all over the place, but she sooooo loved that.  I wish I had video taped that.  It was so funny.   I was always afraid she would get hurt because she jumped so high.  But her love for the balloon took precedence and I continued to let her do it.  Same thing with the nerf gun.  My son played with one of those and I had to put her inside, because she barked at it and tried to take it from him.  She chased the nerf bullets.  SHe also chased his cars.  You know the kind that you rev up and let go....basically if it moved, she played with it.  Vaccuuming was really hard.  I have teeth marks all over the bottom of my vaccuum.  I used to put her up in the bedroom, but my son always let her out when I wasn't looking, and there she was attacking my vacuum whe I was trying to clean up.  She even found enough energy to do it the day before I put her down.  She left it alone most of the week, but she must've been feeling  just a tad bit better because she went for it a few times that day. 

I hope there are balloons, cars, balls, vacuums, treats, and plenty of petting hands for you at rainbow Bridge Sadie.  If not, I will be sure to bring them with me when we meet again. 
Missing my Sadie

Offline jiggasmom

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:24:32 PM »
It really is never easy. I have lost several pets growing up. I think of the days when Jigga and Puba will no longer be around and it makes me want to cry. Sadie sounds like a wonderful and fun loving dog. You were blessed to have her and she was blessed to have some one who loved her so much. I am sure she is running around chasing bunnies and balloons.

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »
I know what you mean about thinking ahead to the time when they won't be here anymore.  Everytime we went to the vet for a checkup or just a minor problem, I always found myself looking at the chart that converted dog years to human years according with age and weight.  I was always paying attention to how old Sadie really was.  I think the last time we went she was around 50.  I would always reassure myself - she's still got plenty of years.  Never in my life did I think she'd be taken from me so soon.  Growing up we've usually had more than 1 dog.  But now that I'm the one totally responsible for a pet, and being a single mom, I don't think I could fully take on the financial responsibility of more than 1 dog.  I came so very close to picking up another one at the humane society, but would always talk myself out of it.  Sadie had a lot of little illnesses and injuries that added up $$$.  So I never did get another one.  At least I could afford the one I had, and spoiled rotten she was.  There was only 1 other family that treated her as well as I did.  They took care of her for me when I worked.  She got to stay at their house during the day and hang out.  They played with her, took her to the park, and even borrowed her for walks when I was at home.  She loved them as much as she loved me.  But they moved to Alaska, and we were heart-broken.  When we walked past their old house, Sadie would go to their door, and I had to call her back.  The new family wasn't as welcoming. 
Missing my Sadie

Offline Niners

• We will always love you, 99!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 05:49:29 PM »
Oh, I know exactly what you mean...

The day after 99 died, I found a page in my old sketchbook. It was a drawing that I did of her when she was just about 2 years old. She was sleeping on the floor. I wrote next to it a prayer, thanking God for such a wonderful addition to our family. It was a big deal for us to get a dog, and we weren't sure if we were cut out for it. But I remember the day that I drew that picture. I was sitting in the chair watching her, and I got so sad to think that she wouldn't always be with us! I could not imagine life without her. And it had only been 2 years. I had hoped she would grow very old here with her people. I wanted her to go gray, and have to eat senior dog food! I didn't ever want to lose her.

I did another drawing of her the week that she died. But I thought it might be the last time I would do that. I miss her so much.

ct
Remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth - Gen 9:16
”Dogs` lives are too short. Their only fault, really.” ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 06:24:26 PM »
I'll bet if you looked in the mirror, you'd see my face.  We are too much alike.  Why is it when we have something so special, a love so strong, a bond so great, that we end up afraid to lose it way before it's time.  Always looking ahead wondering if we can handle the separation that we know will one day come.  I don't think it would have been any easier to lose Sadie to old age.  I think I would have just has hard.  I just wouldn't have the questions about "why".  I hate it that dogs lives are too short.  makes it really hard to get another one, but again it is so much worth it.  As hard as it is, it is still worth it.  My other pets were family pets.  Sadie was the first dog who depended on me.  I was her mom and she was my child.  And I loved her no different, and she loved me no different. 

CT, I'm glad to have found a friend in you.  I wish it were under other circumstances, I really really really do.  We can share our grief, but someday we can also share the new joy of our new additions when it's time. 

Thank you for being here when you were.  I don't think anyone else understands the way you do. 

I am sooo very sorry for your loss.  I wish we were neighbors. 

Shelley
Missing my Sadie

Offline Cosmo

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 06:39:15 PM »
Beautiful memories of an amazing dog.  My heart goes out to you Shelley.  You are a very caring person.  Your memories were very vivid.  They brought a smile to my face and then a tear to my eye.  Sadie will always be in your heart.
Jacci

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
I love it that I can talk about Sadie on here and it doesn't bother anyone.  I can cry my eyes out while I type away and again it doesn't bother anyone.  It's good therapy for me.  Oh Sadie, how I miss you so much.  I had to work again today and come home tonight to an empty house.  Oh how I wish she were here to welcome me home.  I loved it so much that when I would get into my car at work I would think of her right away and say "Sadie Lou, momma's coming home".  I know she never heard me, but I said it anyways.  I always got home at midnight, and if the weather was nice and she was awake enough, we'd go out into the backyard and play a little soccer.  She never cared it was dark, she just ran and fetched and played some more.  Of course we'd have to try to be quiet.  I couldn't let her get too excited about it because she would start barking.  Not something your neighbors wanted to hear at that time of night.  Then we'd come in and go out front to get the mail.  Then get ready for bed.  She was always ready, because she could get in a good petting session. 

Bringing back memories of how much she loved her ball.  When her first soccer ball got wore out I went to the store to replace it.  I let her ride in the car with me.  Now Sadie loved to ride up front so she could see everything that was going on.  I'd open up the moonroof and she'd stick her nose out and get some fresh air.  I'd point out any puppies we saw on the way.  Well, when I got her new ball, I opened up the back hatch and put it in the very back of my SUV.   She saw that ball and jumped back there to see it.  She was soooooo proud!  So proud that she wouldn't even come back up front to sit by me on the way home.  Nope, she rode in the very back all the way home with her new ball. 

Sadie, your memories make me smile.  I loved it how all the time when  I went into the store you would always sit in my seat until I came back out.  One time this lady commented to her friend when she saw you "Look, that dog be drivin!".    Now you have to know southern slang to see how funny it sounded, but that's how alot of people talk around here.  "Look, that dog be drivin!".   I laughed so very hard when she said that.  Sadie would sit perfectly facing forward in the driver's seat when I left her in the car.  She really did look like she was the driver.  I never minded all the dog hair all over my car.  It was worth it to make her so happy to go for a ride.  We never kenneled her like most people do,and I suppose that could have been dangerous, but we did it our way. 

I love you  and I miss you so very much Sadie Lou.  My sweet sweet dog that gave me so much joy. 
Missing my Sadie

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 10:26:51 PM »
Tomorrow I'll talk about her nickname "little momma".  It really show's how sweet she was and it is a great story about dog's nurturing instincts. 
Missing my Sadie

Offline Niners

• We will always love you, 99!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 06:09:42 AM »
I feel like I know Sadie, for sure! Cowboy ALWAYS gets in my seat when I go in the store! And it does attract a lot of attention.

Oh, Shelley, I know how sad you are. I'm sorry. I want Niners back with me. I want to see her smiling at the front door. I want to bury my face on her back. I want to see her prance when people tell her how pretty she was. She was such a show off.

ct
Remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth - Gen 9:16
”Dogs` lives are too short. Their only fault, really.” ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 06:56:26 AM »
Those Aussies sure do love company don't they?  Niners and Sadie were people dogs.  They were very social and they were meant to be around people instead of herding cattle.  Sadie used to bark at people before they came inthe door.  Once I let them in, she was much at their feet.  Instant friends, just took a little attention and petting.  A good warning dog she was, she would bar and bark and people were scared.  But if I ever let a stranger in the house, the barking stopped and the sniffing began.  Once the petting started, it was all over.  Anyone could have come in and robbed my house as long as they gave her a little attention. 

I am so very sorry that you lost 99 CT, but somehow I have a little comfort knowing she is with Sadie, helping her, becoming her alpha dog.  No doubt in my mind, they are great friends. 

Sadie went into her first heat around 10 months or so.  we were planning on getting her fixed, but the heat started first.  So afterwards she started showing signs of pregnancy.  I knew that was impossible because she was never really out of my sight and I put a diaper on her.  But anyhow, she looked pregnant.  I took her into the vet and he confirmed a false pregnancy.  A pretty advanced case of it he told me.  We scheduled for her to get fixed and a day or two after we brought her home she started carrying around one of her little stuffed animals.  She used to rough house with them but not this one in particular.  She carried it with her everywhere she went.  She even took it outside to go potty leaving it on the porch before she trecked out into the grass.  then she'd pick it back up and bring it in.  If I tried to take it from her and play with her, she gently released it to me - not wanting to play with it.  the stuffed animal went to bed with her and she carried that thing around everywhere she went for about a week.  She was becoming a little momma.  Hence the nickname "little momma".   Her instincts kicked in and I never saw her more gentle.  makes me wonder how dogs have their pups and let them go to new homes with strangers.  It's kinda sad that we "people" take away their babies from them, when they really do make good mommas.  maybe that's why their lives are so short.  We do to them what is the ultimate thing that would kill us.  We take their babies from them.  maybe that's why god takes them from us so soon.  I don't know, but it's sad.  I just wonder how dogs really feel when they become a momma.  I'm sure they love them more than we can ever imagine, because their hearts are much more loyal and pure than any human's heart.  They truely know the meaning of agape, it's natural to them.  Unconditional love in a dog - it doesn't get any better than that!
Missing my Sadie

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 10:05:36 PM »
Still missing my Sadie Lou, but each day gets a little easier and easier.  Those memories are bring tears and amiles at the same time.  I know some day it will just be smiles when I think of her.  She is never far from my mind, and still very close in my heart.  I hope that never changes.  Still sleeping on the sofa at night.  I have slept in my bed 2 times since she's gone and I did it just to prove to myself that I can, but I just don't want to right now.  I know I can, but it's easier just sleeping on the couch.  The bed is way too lonely without her at my feet.  Besides, I can watch TV and keep my mind off of it.  Thnking about getting a new puppy - gonna wait it out for a while, but thinking about it none the less.  I want to wait until I feel like I can love another pup without trying to compare it to Sadie.  There's no comparrison anyways,  Sadie was Sadie and she was special.  But the thought of another pup is frightening.  Since Sadie died so young, it's worrisome that another pup might get sick.  Then there's the separation anxiety, always worrying about the day when you have to separate from one another for the rest of your life.  It sucks!  I had some of that anxiety while I had Sadie.  I couldn't even read the poems and tributes out there to dogs that have died.  It was too painful to think about.  Now that I've been through that I don't know if I can do it again.  But I will tell you, the time we had together was priceless.  It probably is worth the pain of the final separation.  The joy that she brought me, the peace, the love....it was worth it - I think.  the pain can be unbearable at times.  But it is getting easier.  Being at work helps, but coming home is hard. It really is.
Missing my Sadie

Offline jefndebbacon

• Winter - miss you....
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 10:13:26 PM »
Hi Shelley, just want to say that you should consider getting another pup when you are ready.  You are such a loving person and a new dog would be so lucky to have you, as you would love them so much!  There are so many dogs out there who need a good, loving owner such as you.  Not one of them can replace Sadie, but that's ok.  Everyone is different - animal/human, and we take the good, and sift out the bad.  I hope that a new dog can bring joy to your life and help you to remember/embrace your love of Sadie.  I have lost several dogs in my lifetime, but losing Winter was by far the most difficult with the ups and downs of Blasto.  I still mourn her after 9 months.  But now I have become a Foster Home for Golden Retrievers - so I can carry on the love, and help to foster Goldens to their forever homes.  Take good care, and keep us updated on the board.  Hugs, Deb

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 10:23:53 PM »
Sadie and firecrackers -

Sadie's first 4th of July was quite a surprise.  I've never had a dog scared of firecrackers.  She was shaking so bad, I had to get her into the closet and turn on a box fan to help drown out the noise.  The next morning she was fine, but when I turned on the TV there was a commercial with firecrackers in it.  For the next 2 weeks, just turning on the TV would scare her and she would hide behind the recliner for a while.  She eventually got over the TV thing, but never did get over the firecracker fear.  It also included thunderstorms.  Every year around the 4th and at New Years I would have to get her some meds fromthe vet to help her get through the night.  Our routine, Meds, closet, and box fan.  I had to schedule potty time around the noise going on outside.  Thunerstorms I couldn't do anything about because I couldn't pre-medicate her for that.  It was so cute how she'd hide under the bed during the storms and every now and then she'd come out and peek into the living room to check on us and creep back under the bed.  I think she wanted to know why we weren't hiding with her.  I kept her dog bed in the bathroom closet all the time and had to leave the door open.  I tried to teach her that was her safe place for storms, but she never really likesd that idea.  The bed was much better for her.  But with tornado season, I wanted to know I could get her to hide in the closet wtht me.  That was my emergency safe place in the event of a tornado. I was about to throw her bed out the day I put her down.  It's old and ragged, but she followed me out to the trash can, and I just couldn't do it.  Not in front of her.  And after she was gone, I still can't do it.  So there it sits, on the floor of my closet with her bone pillow still there.  She would lay there while I took a shower.  I always meant to get her a new bed, but never got around to it.  I guess it will stay there for a while.  
Missing my Sadie

anything