Author Topic: Winger & Surf  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
    • lisa.blog
Winger & Surf
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:11:09 PM »
Excellent idea for a new board Sadie123.

It's been 5 years now since I lost my two golden retrievers - Winger & Surf.  It hurt so bad, so deeply, to lose them. They were my first dogs, my best buddies, my travel companions, and my roommates.  I grieved very hard for the entire first year after they died, and still shed a tear once in awhile for them now.  I now have Monty, their nephew, who is 5.  He reminds me a lot of both of them.

I feel for every member here who has lost their dogs and I wish there was something I could do to lessen your pain.  Please use this board and share your lost one(s) with us.

I wrote tributes for my dogs after they died. If you would like to read them, see:

Winger - http://canadiangoldens.com/winger/
Surf - http://canadiangoldens.com/surf/

Lisa

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
Re: Winger & Surf
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:25:02 PM »
Thank you Lisa for doing this so fast.  I am hoping this will help me and many others who've lost their dogs.  My Sadie has been gone for 8 days now and I thought I was doing better, but today has been extremely difficult for me.  It's like I want the pain to go away, but again I don't.  I would feel guilty not greiving properly over her.  She was my lovely little girl and I miss her so very much.  I hope soon that I can share the wonderful memories of her with everyone.  we had a great 7.5 years together, and she brought me so much joy.  I can honestly say she was the best dog in the whole wide world, but I'm sure we all feel that way about our pets.  It will help to have others to talk about this with.  I am already connecting well with 99's mom.  She shared the same experience just 2 weeks before I did. 

Thank you Lisa.  This board is just what I needed since I can't have my Sadie back. 
Missing my Sadie

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 05:46:25 AM »
Lisa,

My dog Sadie was also a therapy dog - certified with the Delta Society.  We did a few years of agility training but never competed.  We did it just for fun.  She also earned her canine good citizen certification.  And the hardest part was her staying around the corner while I disappeared for a few minutes and she couldn't see me.  She stayed put and whined a little, but not enough for them to disqualify her.  She flunked her first test for dog therapy certification test because when we were walking past another dog to stop and greet....well she wanted to greet too.  We flunked the whole thing just because she sniffed another dog.  We went back the next month and I gave her the command to leave it and she passed everything with flying colors.  Well except for the part where the testor was to give her a treat and she had to take it gently.  The treat was missing.  When no one was looking she stole it off the table.  So we had to use another treat.  But all was good.  We visited an alzheimer's day care center and they were so proud to see her do her tricks.  It was ok to go back week after week and show them the same tricks because they had alzheimer's.  They didn't remember seeing her show off, andwere equally excited every time. 

Just a few good memories to share.

Shelley
Missing my Sadie

Offline Lisa

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
    • lisa.blog
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 07:00:07 AM »
She stole the treat off the table! haha funny girl!!  :D

I really miss the therapy work with the dogs. I think it was as much therapy for me as it was for the patients and students we visited.  They were so suited for that work, so gentle, so understanding, and seemed to sense exactly what the person wanted. 

I can't imagine doing therapy work with Monty.  He doesn't seem to have the same gentleness, but he is only 5. Maybe when he's a senior dog, but I doubt it. 

Offline Niners

• We will always love you, 99!
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 07:44:34 AM »
What a great idea! Thank you for this spot to share and read about your sweet pets.

The whole family is heartbroken over losing our 99 girl. It's hard to say what we miss the most. Her good morning greetings were my favorite. She wiggled her whole self and pushed her head between my knees. Then she would snort and sneeze and just get much too excited until I opened the door. She always came to tell me when it was breakfast and supper time. And she loved for us to talk to her in our "really mad" voices, because she knew it was just a game. She would wag her little behind and get all playful.

I miss her a lot. She would wind down with me at night, sit next to me on the couch and wait for me to rub her paws. When I would stop she would give a little grumble and ask for more. She was so very smart and so very sweet.

Now when I walk Cowboy, people notice that Niners is gone and I have to explain. It's difficult. She was quite a beautiful dog, and together they always drew praise and comments from people. 99 stopped playing fetch when Cowboy came along because his speed was just too much for her. So she turned to thinking games. She could outsmart him most of the time. When he would be next to me in the chair, she would go and find his ball, then walk by with it in her mouth. He could never resist. Time after time, he would jump down to get the ball, and she would take his place next to me in the chair.

I'm grieving the loss of my wonderful dad as well. He passed away this summer, and it's been very tough. Losing Niners seems like such a punch in the gut. She was pretty tuned in to my sadness, and would seek me out when I was having a bad day. I could bury my face in her back and just cry. I'm blessed to have Cowboy, he is also wonderful in so many ways. And strangely enough, he's taken on some of 99's characteristics. Probably because she was his alpha, and now he has to step up.

I get a lump in my throat when I think about her. Pretty sure I will never forget her. Best dog ever.

ct
Remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth - Gen 9:16
”Dogs` lives are too short. Their only fault, really.” ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:31:06 AM »
ct,

I know that grumble oh so well.  When I was tired from working all day, came home and got settled into bed, there were times I was too tired for a petting session with Sadie.  But since she was home alone all day long she wasn't so tired.  She was ready.  She'd lay next to me in bed and roll over for a good belly rub.  If I quit too early she'd grumble at me.  Other times when riding in the car together, she would bump my arm with her nose to keep me petting her.  The only thing that would take her away from a petting session was the doorbell, thunder, or a critter in the yard.  Sadie was so scared of thunder and fireworks.  She hid underneath the bed.  there was nothing I could do to coax her out from under there when she was scared.  That was her safe place.  Once I bought a new bed and it was much lower than the old one.  During a storm one night she creeped off the bed and went into hiding.  The next morning I couldn't find her anywhere, but heard a little whimper from underneath the bed.  She was stuck there.  She could get under but couldn't get out.  After several months of that, I sold the bed and replaced it with yet another one - one which she could get under and get back out.  This past summer she had to wear the cone when she had a foot infection.  My neighbor who came over to let her out when I was working called me to tell me the cone didn't look right.  I told them to leave it and I'd fix it when I got home.  Well when i came through the door she was doing her full body wag with the cone hanging on her side.  It was nowhere near her neck or head.  How she did that I have no idea, but suspecting there were storms during the day and she still found her way underneath the bed, cone and all.   I hated that stupid cone.  She didn't seem to mind it, she still did everything she normally did while the cone was on, including chasing her ball. 
there are thousands of stories to tell.  99 sounds so very familiar to me.  maybe it's just the breed.  Aussies are awesome!
Missing my Sadie

Offline benniesmom

• This is my Bennie, a retired Greyhound
    • Barbara Savage Art of the Animal
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 05:29:03 PM »
One day soon I will read these. This last year I lost my Mikie, a Rottador, or Labweiler, if you prefer...... and my horse Lightenup .. Mikie was dumped on the freeway outside of Bend Oregon at the age of 6 weeks, and Lightenup I had for 18 years, from the time someone didn't want him at all at age 6.......I was so lucky to be the one who got to love them for life....... The crossing of Lightenup was in May, Mikie was in Feb. Both had good long lives, and were my dearest loves. When Bennie came down with Blasto I thought how can I do three in one year. I am barely standing.. I have always had dogs, usually a cat or two as well, and this has been one tough year... I am glad that it looks like Ben will be here for a good while longer, as he is really getting better... And, I am with you on this page, as you go through the dark fog and hard edges of loss....... I love that the Rainbow Bridge poem is there for all of us. Thank you so much for posting it. And for starting this. It is wonderful.
Barb

Offline Niners

• We will always love you, 99!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 05:33:26 PM »
Lisa, your goldens were just beautiful. I read your tribute, all the wonderful things. Well, it was kind of overwhelming. We are truly blessed by our dogs. Our lives are richer.

Shelly, I love that you got rid of that bed! That says it all!

99 had some weird fears. Once she wiped out on the kitchen floor, hit her water dish, and it scared her to death. Since then (she was probably 4 or so) she mostly walked backwards through the kitchen. It was quite a sight, very entertaining for guests, and she was really good at it too! We sort of didn't notice it anymore. But the last days she was sick, she walked slowly and forwards through the kitchen. It made me sad.

The night that she died, she walked all around the back yard, and through the whole house. It was almost like she was saying good-bye to her home. It broke my heart. I just followed her around. She was a very intuitive dog, really tuned in to people's voices and words. She absolutely couldn't contain herself when she would hear my husband's voice after he had been away on a trip. He is a pilot, so she was used to his coming and going. But she loved it when he came home. His voice continued to make her wiggle even at the very end when she was so sick.

I have been extremely sad since Thanksgiving. First one without Dad, and 99's absence was just that much more intense. Christmas is kind of hard to think about right now. I have to say, we are looking at puppies and hoping to have one this winter. Not to replace our Niners, but because she taught us how wonderful it was to have dogs in the house. Now we are hooked, and can't have it any other way. Cowboy will be a wonderful leader for a pup.

ct
Remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth - Gen 9:16
”Dogs` lives are too short. Their only fault, really.” ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Offline Sadie123

• I love Sadie's face!!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 10:31:28 PM »
Lisa,

I read about your dogs, and they were precious.  Telling stories about them really puts vivid pictures into the minds of those who read, and I just wanted to let you know I can feel the love, see the bond, and share the grief. Thank you so much for this website.  You have no idea how many people you have helped. 

Shelley
Missing my Sadie

Offline jefndebbacon

• Winter - miss you....
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 10:56:11 PM »
Hi Shelley, I did not know that Sadie was a certified therapy dog.  How wonderful!  I wish I could have certified Winter, as she loved everyone and was so gentle.  Time flies by and we regret what we did not do!  So, do what you can!  Another dog would be so lucky to have you!  Deb

anything