I am so glad to have stumbled upon this site. Our doberman is almost 4 years old and was just diagnoised with Blasto. She started August 6th with lethargy, anorexia and fever. I thought it was because a foster dog we had was adopted out and she missed him. I live in Carol Stream, Il and I am curious how many other dogs in the area have been affected. We did a chem pannel and eveything looked good. that night we bathed daisy to bring the fever down and thought it would help with the irritation of her skin (we thought it was allergic reaction). she had a wound on her neck pus and bleed everywhere. back to the vet the 7th. started clavamox to cover both skin and lung possible infection. tested thyroid and gave anti-inflamatory drug. perked up from the anti inflammatory pills. Once completed 11th stopped eating again and very lethargic- 12th back to vet d/t fever 105. did xray and blasto angigen elisa urine, did cytology of neck wound which hadnt healed yet. given prednison and rx for itraconazole. told not to start prednisone until 3 days between last rimidayl dose and itra started. also picked up pepcid to start. Recieved SUBQ fluids. still febrile. by 0200 at the emergency vet- another x ray. fine needle bx of the right lymph node (shoulder area) which is suddenly huge. (had 1 dose of the itra in by now).
13th noticed stiff when walking. eating a little bit. lethargic.
It is now the 15th. Daisy eats about one good meal a day. shoving the pills down her throat. vet said continue the clavamox to combat any pneumonia (bacterial) that can start from the dying of the spores with the blasto. started prednisone 14th. She is now drinking water like crazy- no longer febrile but is leaking everywhere because she cant hold her urine. walking around much easier. the wound on her neck is almost healed and the lymph node swelling is decreasing.
I have read that day 5-7 are the worst after starting treatment in terms of respiratory problems popping up once the spores die. so far no eye symptoms but have not seen much about this in what I have found to read. anyone know when the highest risk of sudden blindess starts? Really hoping that since we have no fever and she is eating 1 -2 (yesterday) meals we are on the mend. afraid to get my hopes up though. have requested IV antifungal treatment from vet and emergency specialist bc i dont want to lose her and would spend the money now. they dont think her case needs it. I dont want to be the low chance that she did and we didnt do anything.