Author Topic: Antibiotic use during treatment with antifungal (Itraconazole)  (Read 188 times)

Offline Sroo

Antibiotic use during treatment with antifungal (Itraconazole)
« on: February 27, 2018, 05:12:09 PM »
I am wondering if anyone had to use antiobiotics while treating their dog for blastomycosis? We are on day 8 of Itraconazole and our dog started to experience severe diarrhea. The vet prescribed a 7 day course of Metronidazole (an antibiotic) in addition to 3 days of Diphenoxylate with Atropine. I decided to wait a day to see if diarrhea would improve on its own after withholding food and introducing a bland diet. The next day it got worse not better and blood started showing up in her very watery “stools.” She clearly has inflammation in her intestines and colitis and after seeing the blood we decided to start her on the prescriptions we received from the vet. I am worried about the effect of antibiotics on the fungus she is fighting off because I have heard that fungal growth thrives during and after antibiotic use. However, I have also heard that short term use is okay and antibiotics and antifungals work on different systems and don’t impact one another. I am wondering if anyone else has had to use an antibiotics (or specifically Metronidazole to treat diarrhea) during blasto treatment and had a positive outcome? TIA!!