« on: January 24, 2018, 10:17:37 AM »
Species: Dog chocolate lab
Sex: Female
Year: 2013
Locality: Wawa Ontario
Survived: yes
Medical Diagnosis of Blastomycosis: yes after 2 month

WHERE CAUGHT:
 In my yard, We live right on lake superior where all the bad flooding happened in the fall of previous year. Everything was very wet all summer. She was chewing a stick that had some white fuzz on it and chocked on a piece. Husband had to pull the stick out of her throat, not sure if it scratched her throat allowing some fungal spores in or not.  Never thought anything about it. Until two weeks later. She developed pneumonia and swollen lymph nodes all over her body.  We still can not say if it was the grounds in general or the stick that actually caused the Blasto.

SYMPTOMS:
 Coughing, wheezing, no energy, loss of appetite, blood in stools, lame foot, lesion just starting on her front paw. then they developed lesions on her eyebrow, all her feet developed sores we had to carry her in and out of house for month, all lymph nodes were swollen on her, Mable must of had CNS she did go fully blind.

Brought to a vet out of town and he gave antibiotics thinking it was pneumonia. The pills did not work. We had went back few days later had exrays and blood work. He said dog was full of cancer and put her down. It was classic cancer diagnosis for this doctor.

Feeling frustrated we did not listen. We took her home to die. Upon reading on the way out of Sault we kept googling symptoms and blasto kept coming up. We called vet back and he said no he was sure it was not that and it was cancer by all the tests. So we totally ignored that and thought the dog would die either way so we took things into our own hands. We learned about fungal in a matter of two hours. Relating it to a yeast infection that women get we thought if we bought the yeast infection cream we could let her lick it and it may help. So we walked into the pharmacy to buy the cream. To our surprise they actually sold a pill called fluconazole right off the shelf that is for yeast infections. So we bought every thing they had right off the shelf.

We knew the pills had to be strong because it said for an average woman to take one pill once and be cured from yeast infection in less than week. We found the blastomycosis.ca site and started to read what we needed to do and learned what others were going through with there pets. We knew then that's what Mable had.

We went through the ups and downs of the disease with her. Few times we thought it was death coming. It was the ten days of hell after we started the fluconazole, the lesions were just busting out on her. Not sure why, wondered it that's where the fungal disease try to escape the body. Still not sure.

Contacted the out of town vet and told him what we were doing and had been reading about eye issues and he still did not want to listen to our plea. So we just stopped dealing with him. Mable went blind completely blind within one month of disease. I do believe Mable may not of went blind if she was given the drops for glaucoma early on.
After a few months of treatment and coming to a stand still we found a vet that travels through our community.

He did a full exam of mable and a swab on an open sore and diagnosed the blasto within 10 minutes. So we were right. We shared our mishap with previous vet and developed a relationship with him and he has put us on the right track of treatment. Every case is different in the way the disease takes over the body. He switched our meds and we did liver function tests and Mable's were almost perfect. I credit that to the lecithin and milk thistle.

MEDICAL TESTS:
PRIOR TO DIAGNOSIS
3 physical exams
3 Xrays,
3 blood work,
3 lung swabs

AFTER DIAGNOSIS
15 physical exams and 20 touch base phone calls
5 blood tests
5 liver function tests
4 lesion swabs
2 miro vista tests

TREATMENT:
Herbal meds administered to Mable

oxygen: 3 times day for five minutes, just allowed hose to lay by her face for easier breathing.

Herbal Meds list:
oregano oil 2 drops 4 times daily antifungal and antibacterial,
lecithin pill 2 times daily & milk thistle 2 times daily for liver function,
colloidal silver in water,
coconut oil for lesions,
Epsom salts for washing

Conventional Meds:
 -fluconazole,  3 pills daily, for 3 months, switched to spronax 3 times daily for another 7 months
-prednisone 2 mg 2 times daily, we knew prednisone would increase appetite, and give a false sense of feeling better, yes I know it is bad for blasto disease. however, we came to realize that it probably saved her from drowning in the yeast/fungus that was concentrated in her lungs. meaning it stopped an embolism in her lungs. Weaned her off the prednisone after 5 months
We were lucky that we had a senior parent on hand who had access to prednisone or we may have lost the fight. Its bad to use someone elses meds, at this point we had nothing to lose.
we also used yeast infection cream for lesions
We did not use any antibacterial soaps near her for washing lesions.
We used Epsom salts and warm clean clothes for washing lesions. soaked her paws in Epsom salts and dried well

FOODS & NOURISHMENT: All bad for blasto but she needed strength. Mable would not eat so we force fed her. After 1 month she regained her appetite.
carnation good start infant formula: in 2 ounce syringe every two hours
pedialytes liquid: 2 ounces in syringe every two hours
peanut butter: with pills

COST OF TREATMENT:
Over $10,000. Not all at once it was a slow chip    Considering I have had 6 dogs over my life time that lived to be in there teen years that have not had an ailment to cost money, except for spaying and neutering.   I can live with the cost it. oh and I don't believe in the shots/ needles for animals because my dogs never leave the yard so I have not even had that expense.

COMMENTS:
Mable's lost site has not really slowed her any. We just keep furniture placement the same, no clutter on floors like shoes or toys. We keep vehicles in yard in same placement order. We have lots of big rocks to climb on and bush to explore and she is quite independent. She swims, and goes after squirrels. She had older dogs, brother and sister, with her on this ordeal and they helped her with the confidence she needed to manoeuvre the house and yard. she is the only one left she is 10 years now. Her brother lived to be 15  her sister lived to be 10.

We always get asked why we spent so much money and energy on Mable. It does sound outrageous and it is. Yet, a few years back we would not of been able to do it financially. We still really could not do it BUT...for all the learning we have gained and how this disease works has opened up new doors to respect not only the herbal medicines but the conventional ones as well.
Mable is the only one left with us now and we are grateful for everyday. We had one relapse but nothing like we experienced in the beginning. She has a way of sparkling up our world, feeling for ourselves or ailments is nothing compared to what we saw mable go through. She never growled, fussed or lost faith in us. You cant always win in life but we are thankful for the win on this one. 

We could of went to school and learn about this or go through the experience. Its just the cost of learning.