Author Topic: New to Blastomycosis with our Dog  (Read 537 times)

Offline ngreiff

New to Blastomycosis with our Dog
« on: January 21, 2018, 05:30:28 AM »
MY 5 1/2 year old Male Border Collie was diagnosed 2 days ago with Blastomycosis. He  started a couple of weeks ago with a slight cough that would happen maybe once or twice a day.  So we didn't think much of  this.  2 weeks ago his cough became more consistent and he was not interested in eating.  A vet visit he was diagnosed with pneumonia after a chest x-ray and was running a fever of 104.  He did have a tiny blister on his nose.  Which the vet didn't pay too much attention to.  After several more visits to the Vet he was finally diagnosed.  We have him on Itraconazole 100 mg once a day, amoxicillin 375 2x a day, Doxcycline 100 mg 2x daily, Tramadol 50 mg 2x a day and Rimadyl 100mg once a day. His appetite is very reduced from what it was before he was sick.  As of right now he will only eat if we hold the plate up.  He won't eat if plate is on the floor which I'm thinking is uncomfortable for him due to the enlarge lymph node in is neck.  Today  he woke up and he is not using his back right. He holds it up and won't put any weight on it.

My question to the group - what should I expect the next couple of days? When will I start to see if the medications are working?  Any suggestions on his care? 

Offline oakes cove

• Member 2013
Re: New to Blastomycosis with our Dog
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 10:04:17 AM »
Hi. You came to the right place for reference. This site helped us four years ago. Our dog Mable had blasto. Do yourself a favour and read some of the older posts for reference.
 Your dog will have variable appetitite.  You may need to offer food and water frequently like every couple hours if your dog is not eating the normal amount. Because of our situation we gave droppers of baby formula, gatorade and peanut butter with pills.  All bad for blasto but we were concerned with body strength to fight.  We corrected all that as she grew stronger.   Blasto is a funny disease. Its fungal which is very different from bacterial.  I see your dog is on antibiotics. And not sure why. The itraconozole should take care of the fungal infection.  Just watch your dog close to make sure the antibiotics are not fighting the itraconazole fungal medicine.   If your able to make sure your dog can get fresh air for ten minutes few times aday.  Its good for lungs. Or if you have access to oxygen you can let it run near dog nose for five minutes or so few times aday. Not sure of your temps in your area for staying outside for short times.  The blister on dogs nose is normal sometimes they appear all over body dont be afraid.  Its the fungal trying to escape the body. Just warm epsom salt washing.   We used canestan yeast infection cream on the wounds and coconut oil.  No antibacterial soaps. Treat this like a womans yeast infection.  Also if you can some milk thistle is good to keep liver function in tact. The meds are pretty harsh and milk thistle and or lecithin is herbal way to keep things in check.  Im not expert by any means. This site can help if you read.  Its good to Learn about fungal infections. Remember the disease will seem like its winning in the first few weeks and then the light of day will come.  Mable is our dog and her story is on the board somewhere. It lists everything we did right from start.  Its been four years  she is still with us.  Good luck.

Offline Harleys Mom

• Harley shows his favorite colors
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:08:29 AM »
So sorry to hear your dog has this nasty disease, but sounds like you've got him on the right track with Itraconazole & getting him to eat some. The blasto fungus can infect bones too, so this may be causing your dog's limp. My Harley had x-rays of his front leg because he was limping & the Blasto infection looked similar to the snowstorm pattern seen in lung x-rays. A couple of his toes were so infected the vets were concerned they may need to amputate them, but the meds worked & he got to keep his toes.

As Oakes Cove said, blisters & oozing sores are pretty common with Blasto. My vet actually diagnosed Harley with Blasto by looking at a smear of fluid from what I thought was an insignificant little insect bite. The vet said they can also see the fungus in fluid drawn from swollen lymph nodes, but the vet has to be pretty experienced to recognize the fungus. Harley's x-rays weren't showing much change after a couple months so the vets doubled his dosage. He went from having a couple sores to having them everywhere, but his next x-rays did show significant Blasto reduction. The vet suggested using an athletes foot cream on the sores, since that too is an antifungal.

There's a lot of commonalities with Blasto, but still seems like no 2 are exactly the same, but this forum is loaded with lots of anecdotal information from a lot of people. My Harley was an 8+ year Blasto survivor, but unfortunately lost the battle to Father Time & passed in late 2016 at around 15 years old. I'm hoping your boy will be a Blasto survivor too!

Offline ngreiff

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 09:24:18 AM »
Thank you for the responses.  Morgan has been under treatment for about 2 weeks now and shows remarkable improvement.  It's looking like we caught the disease in the early stages.  He still has a "blister" on his nose, and one on his side, but no other breakouts.  As of today he's walking without a noticeable limp but is slow to walk up stairs or jump on the bed.  I've been taking him on short walks (about 15-20 minutes) to get him fresh air and keep up his strength.  His appetite has returned (thank God for peanut butter!) and he's taking his meds well.  He goes back to the vet on Wednesday so we should have a progress report at that time.  Thank you for responding and giving us some guidelines as to what to look for.  You have been very helpful and we truly appreciate it.

Offline Harleys Mom

• Harley shows his favorite colors
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:45:47 AM »
Glad to hear Morgan's doing better. It may take several months to be Blasto free, but sounds like he's already headed down the road to recovery, Hooray for Morgan!

anything