Author Topic: Lucy a 9 month old Golden  (Read 72 times)

Offline Lucy Lou

Lucy a 9 month old Golden
« on: November 29, 2017, 05:27:24 PM »
We have a cottage in Kenora, Ontario but live in Manitoba.  We have only had the cottage for less than 1 1/2 years.  We have a Golden Retriever (Hunter who is 14 yrs) a Golden doodle(Aragon who is 11 yrs) and Lucy who I call Lucy Lou and is 9 months the baby Golden Retriever.

On Nov 8th I left for a trip and Lucy and company stayed back at home with my husband.  She was fine and herself.  When I came home on the Tuesday Lucy came for the ride to pick me up.  When I saw her I expected her to be super excited and jumping for joy.  She was not which I thought was odd.  We wrote it off to the fact Aragon had been at the vets to remove a large tumor from his neck and was gone most of the day.  We figured Lucy missed him and was anxious about me being back.  Well as the week progressed she seemed depressed and lethargic.  She would eat but not her usual self.  My husband figured maybe her stomach was upset because she for into the garbage.  As the week went on she was not herself and she appeared to have a fever and her belly was hot, has the runs, lethargic and seemed depressed  That Thursday Nov 16th we took her to the vets.  The thought she had an infection or a blockage.  She stayed over night and was on iv with antibiotics.   We thought we were on the right track as her fever went down.  She stayed another night and on Saturday Nov 18th she came home and appeared better.  She was eating, her poop looked better no longer runny and she seemed happier.  We continued to give her antibiotics orally but on Sunday she was back looking depressed and lethargic and shedding like crazy.  We kept up with the meds and figured we were on the right track. We took her back to vets where they did several xrays of her stomach and lungs blood work came back with white blood cells off the chart. But beside that nothing appeared out of the ordinary.  There was no snowy pattern in her lungs to indicate Blasto.  We continued on with antibiotics and the next day we had an ultra sound of her stomach.  Still nothing to indicate what was wrong.  Now Lucy was limping in her back leg like she had a ligament issue.  Some of her lymph nodes were swollen.  Another xray of her lungs again as now she had a slight cough which I thought could have been kennel cough from her stay last week.  The vet found inside her mouth on the outside of her gums a small lesion with puss.  Now all her lymph nodes were swollen with puss.  Dr did a sample but nothing came back to indicate Blasto.  They now found another lesion in the inside of her ear filled with puss.  They advised we needed to get a urine sample to send away to Teat for Blasto.  I was pretty sure that it was Blasto and wanted to start treatment asap.  The Vet agreed and on Monday Nov 26th we started treatment via iv for Blasto.  She is better but has more lesions, puss in her lungs, but like everyone says she will get worse before she gets better.  Hoping Lucy will be coming home on Saturday.  We have a long road ahead of us but not giving up on my Lucy. 

Wanted to share my story as Lucy's only first indicators were lethargic, depressed, shedding, and the runs.  We were last at the lake in Late October.  Will keep you updated on Lucy's progress.  I will be giving her oregano oil and milk thistle like some of the others have done on this sight.  Once she is better I was advised to continue putting oregano in her food and the other dogs too as a preventative in the future.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:40:31 PM by Lucy Lou »

Offline Lucy Lou

Re: Lucy a 9 month old Golden
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 05:33:25 PM »
They found Blasto in the last swab from her ear at todays visit.  The urine results which Have to be shipped to Indiana take 7-10days have not been confirmed yet. 

Nov 29 We brought Lucy home.  Can't afford to keep her at vets on IV at 350.00/day.  She is better then when we brought her in on Monday.  Her appetite is back and she is happy to be home.  We have medication itraconazole 100mg capsules every 12 hours,clavamox 375mg tablet every 12 hrs, and Metacam 2.5mg every 24hrs.  She will be on the itraconazole for about 6 months.  With monthly blood work to check her organs. And every 1 to months a urine sample to see if its cleared up yet.  Long road ahead of us.  Seeing her at home I am so Glad we didn't euthanasia her on Tuesday like we were thinking.

Our bill so far has been 1500.00 for the first stint where they thought it was just a regular infection.  Then when we determined it was Blasto that bill was 3000.00 which included 3 nights/4 days at hospital.  More bills to come for the medication.  Here is praying for a smooth easy recovery. 

Now we have to watch her like a hawk at the Lake in the Spring when we head back.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 05:25:13 PM by Lucy Lou »