Author Topic: Tonight Ella will have her 10th dose-Scared her breathing will continue to incre  (Read 160 times)

Offline Roubi

Hi everyone,

Ella will have her 10th dose today. Her respiration since perhaps day 6 has continuously increased- she is perhaps at 100 breaths per min now. I am so scared to give her the 10th dose today and wonder if she will struggle tonight as usually after Itraconazole, she has a had time being comfortable.

I am unsure if she has improved as such, I am still able to get her to eat, which is great. I have now added milk thistle and slippery elm bark to make sure she is okay.

She seems to just want to rest and breathe. It is so hard to watch her like this, but I am hoping this is the part where everyone says "it gets worse before it gets better"

She usually has her Itraconazole at 8:30pm of 150mg then in the morning at 8.30am I usually give her Previcox.

I am wondering if I can give her Previcox perhaps tonight to help with her breathing just in case it continues to increase? Does anyone have a suggestion? Do you think I should take her to the Emergency tonight just in case?

She seems to get really really tired, drips water from her mouth as soon as we walk a little now, by little I mean little- just out the gate 4,5 steps... just wondering if it will get better OR not for us...I am so so sad right now but trying to believe hard that I am doing the right thing and may be she will get through this.

Let me know if anyone of you used Previcox and whether I can give it to her earlier tonight just in case for her breathing (I am not even sure it will help her)

Offline oakes cove

• Old Member 2013
Hey. I think that your doing okay with your dog Ella. You might be seeing the getting worse before getting better stage. The night time for any sick person or animal always feels worse. Is there a spot in your home that can have fresh air flow through without your dog getting a draft or chill.   Mable is my dog she is 4 yrs surviving the blasto. I would try also try some vicks on a towel kinda near but not in her face. Is there anyone you know who has oxygen. My father inlaw was so we just turned on bottle and let the oxygen flow out near her face for a few minutes a day. Our story is on here with the treatment process we used.  Great to her she is eating.  Do you offer her many drinks of water throughout the day. That helps to.  Each day with this disease presents different challenges and every dog and situation is different.  Sounds like your doing the right things.  Ps the milk thistle is good to keep liver function as well as lecithin. Now our vet believes a wee bit about herbal meds complimenting conventional.

Offline oakes cove

• Old Member 2013
Oh one last thing gently patting her near her lungs chest area may help loosen up mucus. Not for too long either. Movement is good to keep things loose.  Ok thats it. Thanks CD

Offline Roubi

Hi  Oakes Cove,

Thank you for message and advise. We do not unfortunately have access to oxygen. Ella seem to have continued to decline in a way- she can barely walk a bit before being completely out of breath and need to just lay there panting, catching her breath. She also seems to be off food - even though we tried quite a few different food in the past couple of days, which today lead to massive diarrhoea (did Marge have any diarrhoea while you are trying all sorts of different food?) hers were very liquid- brown, no shape at all.

It is so hard to watch her and still believe you are doing the right thing... Yes, I do make sure she is having lots of water, and keeping her hydrated. I might perhaps stop milk thistle- just in case that was causing her upset stomach and probably try to keep her on a bland diet.

Offline oakes cove

• Old Member 2013
Hey. Its really hard to watch but there is light at end of it.  I fed mable every two hours droppers of pedialytes and baby food. Peanut butter with pills.   Even just peanut butter just for nourishment.  Your dog is in crisis mode and any little bit of nourishment will help. You can fix diet later on. They need liquids and every couple hours to help with strenghth.  Lots of sleep.  And yes mable had diareeha.   Sometimes with blood in it.   We also gave her 2.5 mg of prednizone. It can be frowned upon whoever mable had bad lungs as well and it helped her with strength and appetite  maybe your vet might prescribe for you.  Mable is a lab. Your girl is small im thinking.  So the vet will know better.  If you read Mables story and treatment  there might be something you can try.   We had nothing to lose with Mable.  They said she would die.  This site helped us get through each symptom.  Stay strong and i hope your pup gets well.   

Offline Roubi

Hi Oakes Cove,

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I really need this right now and you are the only one actually telling me from a real story point of view and I appreciate it very much!

Ella today again refused any food- So since she had diarrheoa I went to the VET and got her some Hills bland diet and force fed her that- she swallowed. So hoping I will be able to build up from here, so my plan is bland for today and then tomorrow if she is back to have normal poo, I will then start adding the Hills A/d food and do transitional change diet and built her strength.

I don't think my VET will prescribe prednisone since they don't really believe Ella has Blasto and think I should put her to sleep. But, I do have Previcox which I give to her everyday (in the morning at around 8.30am) half a tablet of 227mg. When were you giving the prednisone ? Compared to Itraconazole?

Ella seems to also drink on her own- which I guess is good- she will just drink from her bowl every so often and I also make sure to give her 5-15ml of water every 2 hours or so.

Looking at my baby like this, it is hard to imagine she will get through this. I can only hope. Like you said, same thing here the VET wants to put her down anyways, so nothing to lose but to try and save her. I just don't want her to be suffering.

She seems to sleep peacefully though. Her breathing is quite high even when she is sleeping, it is perhaps 100-120 breaths per mins.

Again, thank you so much for replying to me, you are literally giving me the courage to continue.

Offline oakes cove

• Old Member 2013
Hey. Its a rough go and at least you are trying. There is nothing to lose either way. Prevacar is that a tylenol for dogs im thinking. I never gave mable that but i probably should of.  Its a strange disease sometimes you will see improvement then wham you feel like your going backwards again.  You will know your dog like the back of your hand. The prednizone is a steroid it gives a energy blast and helps with breathing.  During our journey we switched vets.  Does Ella have any sores or small bumps that a vet could take a sample from.  Our vet can take a fungal / blasto swab from a sore. I even picked a small bump so vet could take sample.  They look for the figure 8 under the microscope.    Does she have swollen lymph nodes. Check by her throat area. Under the hind legs for little balls or lumps. Some dogs have experienced this. It can be a guide for yourself as to her progress. As they shrink or disappear lets you know about meds working.   Lots of nourishment and fluids are best.  Try some gatorade or pedialytes because she needs lots of electrolytes.   If she eats dog food even on firce thats really good.  Even drinking on her own is good.   Not to push but you do have options for second opinion with vet.   A dog can be like your child.  Let your mom instincts kick in.   Tell Ella she will be ok and comfort her often she will appreciate it. Your doing ok   Stay strong. Till we talk again.  CD

Offline RyanB

Hello,

Just found this forum and finding it very helpful. How is Ella doing? I have a 11 month old siberian Husky named Nala. We do not live in an endemic area, but she somehow got blasto and accurately diagnosed about 20 days ago. Everything you are seeing I am seeing in her. Respiration is not quite as elevated but still very fast. She was misdiagnosed for about 4 weeks before that and was given Antibiotics to treat for "kennel cough" and then a more severe case of Canine flu. We are now on Itraconozole, and some predisone and a bronchodialator since her breathing has not really improved and she has lost a lot of weight. 44lbs (not sure in kilos) back in October down to 36.6 lbs last week. We did just the Itra for 2 weeks an repeat x rays showed limited improvement. Vet then prescribed the new meds which seem to help intermittently but not steadily. Hope you are doing ok, this sucks so bad only someone dealing with it first hand really knows. Please let me know if you have found anything is working better then others. Her appetite is a little better now on the steroids. Diarrhea is pretty bad, found that adding some white rice to the boiled meats we have been giving her is helping a little. This morning she is seeming to have taken a step backwards, while last night she was playing a little and ate well all day.

anything