Author Topic: Opinions on Chest X-Rays  (Read 153 times)

Offline ghart36

Opinions on Chest X-Rays
« on: October 22, 2017, 04:33:02 PM »
Hello everybody,

2.5 weeks ago our 8.5 year old min pin rat terrier mix, Harley, was diagnosed with metastatic lung cancer via chest x-rays. I took him to the vet because he was breathing faster than normal and shallow. Everything else was normal. Vet brought the images into the examine room to show me what her and a colleague suspected to be metastatic lung cancer. Pittsburgh emergency vet and her radiology team also suspected metastatic lung cancer. These "suspicions" just don't sit well with us and neither did leaving our faithful companion in a city over 2 hours away with strangers when he could leave us at any moment. Against the vets recommendation, we took Harley home with some Prednisone and a broncodialator. She wanted us to put him to sleep but we wanted his last days to be at home with us. As I said above, its been about 2.5 weeks. Some other symptoms have occurred but they come and go, which is weird to us. We thought it would get worse on a linear scale. Also, the symptoms could be caused from the meds.

Harley had a nerve sheath sarcoma successfully removed 1.5 years ago and from what I was told and researched, this type of cancer very rarely metastasizes. The margins were good and the only worry was that they usually reoccur locally. If they don't come back within a year, then the chances of them coming back are slim to none. It never came back :) and most likely did not contribute to the suspected lung disease he has.

Upon researching metastatic lung cancer in dogs, I came across multiple sources that said that blastomycosis is frequently misdiagnosed as metastatic lung cancer. I submitted a urine sample to our vet almost 2 weeks and have not gotten the results back yet. I am calling them tomorrow morning and demanding that they call the lab since the latest the results were to come back was 4 days ago. Not happy about this at all because we don't like to see our little buddy not enjoying life anymore. We scheduled a vet to come to our home on Tuesday to put him to rest to avoid the nasty suffering that can happen as the cancer gets worse, if that's what he actually has.

However, we need to know that test result. If it's blasto and Harley has a chance, then he's not going down without a fight. He may be little, but he's strong. I've attached the x-ray images so that maybe someone who also had x-rays of their pet could compare them. Any help is much appreciated and I'm so glad that we found this site. Our hearts go out to everyone who has battled any disease and/or lost a pet. They truly are family.

Offline ghart36

Re: Opinions on Chest X-Rays
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 04:44:42 PM »
Also wanted to add the symptoms that Harley has now.

Temp of 104 for his last couple vet visits.
Coughs a little after every drink he takes.
Coughed up water a 3 times with small speck of blood, first time was bright red and the last 2 times it was darker. This happened during stomach troubles and has stopped.
Breaths shallow and fast, at times this is scary because of how loud it is and how much his body moves, comes and goes.
Was having stomach troubles for the past couple days but they seemed to have resolved with some med changes.
He is hungry and begs but he only eats Hill's Low Fat pate from the vet and Fruitables, not his normal kibble.
Seems tired most of the time but this comes and goes.
He want take walks anymore, just pees and then finds a spot in the grass to chill for a while.
Can't get comfy when he lays down, comes and goes.
The iris of his left eye will change color and get dark brown when it is normally hazel, also looks hazy. Comes and goes. Vets have no clue about the eye changes.
Noticed a sore or cut under his chin with a scab 2.5 weeks ago. It hasn't healed and seems to be getting bigger very slowly. Has a clear fluid mixed with blood coming out of it when agitated.
Twitches a lot more than usual when he sleeps.

Offline ghart36

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »
Bumping this to hopefully get some responses.

Offline Harleys Mom

• Harley shows his favorite colors
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:28:10 AM »
Sorry to hear your Harley's not doing very well. I don't know anything about cancer, but I wouldn't expect it to affect his eyes, but Blasto can. Also the oozing sore under his chin is also something that can be associated with Blasto. You may want to contact your vet to see about getting a prescription for one of the anti-fungal meds used against Blasto. If it is cancer, the anti-fungals shouldn't cause Harley any problems, but if it is Blasto, the quicker he gets started on meds, the better chance he has of beating it.

Love your little guy's name  ;D
My Harley was an 8+ year Blasto survivor but lost the battle to Father Time last year at the ripe old age of 15-16. If little Harley's illness turns out to be Blasto, I hope he can beat it & have as many years with you as I had with my Harley. If it is his time to go, there's already a big Harley there to greet him on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

anything