Author Topic: blasto RARE in our area!  (Read 645 times)

Offline Mamahoricon

blasto RARE in our area!
« on: February 27, 2017, 11:43:16 AM »
My 5 year old Golden Retriever, Everett, has been diagnosed with Blasto.
We brought him in approximately 2 weeks ago because his nose was swollen and he was having trouble breathing.  His joints were also swollen.
He was also lethargic and depressed, but I did not associate that as a symptom because we lost his brother two years ago when they were both poisoned (another horrific ordeal), and he's been depressed off and on since then.  My baby was born in November as well, so I also was assuming his depression was related to that.  Also, he was losing weight and not eating- which I attributed to the depression.  I am so grateful we brought him in.
At our first visit, she gave him antibiotics.  We were all assuming the swollen joints were related to what he's been suffering with since his poisoning- he's had achey swollen joints for about 2 years now!
Then a few days later, the swelling on his nose broke open with puss.  I called her back and she said she wanted to see him.
She looked at his joints and said she suspected Blastomycosis.  She took his blood and samples of the puss and started him on antifungals right away.

She called a couple days later to confirm it was in fact Blasto.

I am SO thankful she went with her gut!!  I had never heard of it before.  Our old vet ignored my concerns 2 years ago and I blame him for my dog being dead.  This vet was overly cautious and turned out to be right!

Now, he's got even more sores, and he's having trouble breathing and eating.  We're doing our best and PRAYING he gets better soon!!

The MN Dept of Health called today to ask questions.  Apparently, it's practically unheard of for Blasto to be in our area.  We're in Southern MN.  And Everett hasn't traveled away from home.  Of course, we live in the swampiest area of the whole county. The rest is corn and soybean field.  Makes me want to move.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:16:48 PM by Mamahoricon »

Offline Steiger

Re: blasto RARE in our area!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 12:31:39 AM »
Oh, I hope he got better.

anything