Author Topic: 14 mths old German Shepherd just diagnosed - breathing questions  (Read 135 times)

Offline stacymorrow

14 mths old German Shepherd just diagnosed - breathing questions
« on: February 17, 2017, 04:16:41 PM »
Hi all - not sure how active this board is, but our sweet boy Hawk was just diagnosed with blasto on February 10th. X-ray had the snowstorm look and the urine test confirmed. His lungs were bad enough to where he was on oxygen and in the hospital for 5 days. On Tuesday we brought him home because he was off oxygen for a whole day. He's on 200mg of Itraconazole and 5 MG of prednisone for two more days as well as an antibiotic for any secondary infection.

My question is how long does it take for the breathing to not be as labored?  He's been on the meds for exactly 7 days now but his breathing is still labored at 40-50 BPM and the poor guy is just miserable. He tries to sleep for a few minutes but then wakes up with the need to pant to catch his breath. I know all cases are different but I'm hoping for some relief for our boy soon.

Offline Harleys Mom

• Harley shows his favorite colors
Re: 14 mths old German Shepherd just diagnosed - breathing questions
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:46:48 AM »
Sorry to hear your Hawk got this nasty thing. I'm not sure how many posts you've had a chance to read on this board, but there's a lot of good anecdotal information from other owners who've gone thru this already. Unfortunately with the breathing difficulties, a lot of dogs seem to get worse before getting better. Most seem to think that as the meds starting working, the dying fungi act like debris in the dog's lungs. The dog's system will eventually absorb the dead fungi, but until then, it makes breathing harder. My Harley didn't really have much breathing problems, but I've seen some people post that they put a small fan on their dogs to keep air moving & help them breathe.

Good luck with Hawk. Will be keeping you both in my thoughts:)

Offline stacymorrow

Re: 14 mths old German Shepherd just diagnosed - breathing questions
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 12:53:34 PM »
Thank you for the prayers!  We actually took him back to the vet last Friday because he just couldn't sit or lay down with his lungs being so inflamed.  They put him back on oxygen and Sunday when we went to visit him, he looked so pitiful I really didn't think he was going to make it.  But then Monday the internal medicine vet came back in, increased his prednisone and anti-fungals and he turned into a different dog!  He was off the oxygen by Monday night and we got him back home last night.  Breathing is still heavier and faster than I'd like, but at least he can sleep and rest now.  We are hoping this holds true even when we start to ween him off the Prednisone in 4 days.

We know there is still a long battle ahead, but we are hoping our sweet boy is over the hump.  This is such a nasty and awful thing for our pups to have to deal with.