Author Topic: Sporanox USA vs UK  (Read 1111 times)

Offline EmmyGirl

Sporanox USA vs UK
« on: November 17, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »
For those of you who have filled the Sporanox prescription using a Canadian pharmacy, did you notice any difference in side effects from the American version?

Our one year old dog was diagnosed with Blasto in October. Like many here, we were advised to only get the brand name version of Itraconazole. We got/could afford just enough from an American pharmacy to cover us until the Canadian product (made in the UK) arrived.  She's been doing great on the American Sporanox, but the day we switched her to the UK Sporanox, she started getting very nauseous and picky with her eating. (Her liver panel came back okay.)

Janssen, who makes Sporanox, should be using the same formula in both the USA & UK. Has any one else encountered this?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thank you so much!!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:59:35 PM by EmmyGirl »

Offline Harleys Mom

• Harley shows his favorite colors
Re: Sporanox USA vs UK
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 09:08:17 AM »
So sorry to hear about your dog getting this awful thing. It was 8 years ago, but I went thru a Canadian pharmacy to get the name brand Sporonox & had no problems with it. Mine came in packaging with several different languages so I don't remember where it was actually made, Germany or India, maybe.

There's a lot of information on this board & I don't know how much you've had a chance to read, but most people have seen their dogs get worse before getting better, especially coughing. Seems like as the meds kill the fungus, it makes breathing harder for a while before the dog's system starts to absorb the dead fungus. Also, the meds that kill Blasto, unfortunately, can cause lack of appetite. Since it does take a little bit for the meds to build up in the dog's system, it could be coincidental that her eating habits changed with the change from US to UK meds.

Good luck with your dog! Harley & I will keep positive thoughts for her.

Offline EmmyGirl

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 09:13:49 AM »
Thank you so much for the information and kind words!! I hope it is just a coincidence.

This board is amazing and has been so helpful! I've been reading, reading, reading!

Offline Whynow

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »
Our dog # 3  has Blasto and treated successfully with the count dropping fro 10 to 2  in 6 months. Does anyone know if it is ok to do the meds next summer as a preventative as 5 dogs have got Blasto on our property in 2 years. If we don't I'm sure our pet will suffer once again. Any info would be helpful. Tx

Offline Harleys Mom

• Harley shows his favorite colors
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 07:20:48 AM »
Whynow,
Seems I remember someone posting about giving low dose of meds as a preventative, but I was a bit concerned that Blasto might become resistant to meds if they get over-used, like some infections have become resistant to certain antibiotics in people. Plus there was the concern about how meds affect the liver so I didn't want to go that route. My vets worked with me so that I could collect urine samples for them to send to MiraVista every 2 months for a while. That way if Blasto did come back, it would be detected before the infection became sever & Harley could get back on meds. Also, the cost of 2 months of meds, even at a lesser dose, was a lot more than sending a sample for the Mira Vista test every 2 months.

As an 8+ year survivor, Harley proved that Blasto can be defeated, but at 15+ years old, he lost the battle to Father Time & crossed the Rainbow Bridge 10 days ago. I hope you & EmmyGirl have as many happy years with all of your dogs as Harley gave me.

Offline EmmyGirl

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 08:01:25 PM »
Harleys Mom,

I'm so so sorry to hear about Harley! It sounds like he was a lucky dog, who lived a life filled with love!

Emmy has had a good week, and we are holding our breath that things to continue to improve. Thank you again for all the support and encouragement you have given on this board!