Author Topic: When will things be better?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline kmckinney

When will things be better?
« on: October 30, 2016, 02:36:36 PM »
Two weeks ago, I had never heard of blastomycosis. Our vet suspected it when we took our sweet girl in. He started her on fluconazole right away. The test confirmed the diagnosis a week later. At that time he switch us to itra. A couple days after we started the itra, our girl perked up and began walking again. We were having to carry her outside to potty. She was doing great for a couple days. Yesterday a sore popped and we noticed two more oozing. Is this the infection leaving, is this good?? Today is day 9 on itra and she seems to be breathing heavy. Will things look up soon? What else can we do for our sweet Molly? Also, one of her eye is oozing and is blurred and red. I asked our vet about the itra working for that and I was told it was the best drug  to treat blasto and that I would just have to wait and see if it works. Any advice is very helpful.

Offline Harleys Mom

• Harley shows his favorite colors
Re: When will things be better?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 11:20:23 AM »
Sorry to hear about your Molly getting this awful thing, but hang in there. If you have a chance, read some of the other posts on this sight & the letters pinned at the top, there's a lot of information that will help you with Molly. Although no 2 dogs seem to react the same, most do tend to get worse before they get better. It's kind of a side effect of the medication working - as the fungus in the lungs dies, it causes breathing impairment, which should improve over time. The sores are pretty common too. While my Harley was taking Itra, the vets thought doubling his dose would help & he broke out in a couple dozen sores, so they cut him back to 1.5 dose & the sores started to heal. If you check on this site, there's some posts about some type of clay used to ease the sores, but Harley's healed up on their own. They oozy eye would be more of a concern as Blasto can concentrate in the eyes & cause blindness. Some posters were pretty successful using an eye drop but I don't remember if it was an Itra or Flucon drop. That might be something to check with your vet.

Good luck with Molly & hang in there! Unfortunately, it could be a while before you see significant improvement, but sounds like your vet got meds started right away, which is a good thing & may have kept her from deteriorating as far as some of the other dogs discussed on this site before their owners could get their vets to prescribe an antifungal medicine.

Offline kmckinney

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 12:24:08 PM »
Thank you for the reply! We ended up taking her to an emergency vet Sunday night. She has lost sight in one eye. The first doctor we seen was so negative and suggested we put her down. We couldn't do that as she was running around all weekend. She is obviously sick but not suffering at this point. She saw an internal medicine doctor Monday morning who thinks she has a chance to beat this. She was admitted and they will try IV medication this week in hopes to hit it hard to preserve her other eye. They also double her itra dose. This is such a rollercoaster. I'm so sad she has lost her sight, it happened so fast. I'm trying to find peace knowing she's in the best hands. Her doctor has called me everyday and has been extremely helpful. We are praying hard our girl survives this!

Offline Harleys Mom

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 07:50:08 AM »
Sorry to hear about Molly losing sight in her eye. Animals are pretty resilient & can adapt to physical changes, probably better than us people. Maybe because they don't overthink their situation, they just adapt & keep going. I have a horse that was blind in 1 eye when I got him & it doesn't seem to bother him at all. I've heard horses tend to be spookier about losing sight than dogs, but Z figured out how to manage with 1 good eye so Molly should have no problem at all.

Will be keeping good thoughts for Molly's recovery!

Offline kmckinney

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »
Molly came home from the vet Thursday and she was doing great. The vet said since her blasto is so systemic that she really needs Amp B IV. She had two doses last week. She was supposed to go get her third dose today. They checked her kidney levels before and they were incredibly high. They basically told me either we give her the medicine and put her in kidney failure. Or don't give and the infection is going to take over.

I need help. I feel so discouraged because she was doing so well I thought. We are 3 weeks in with this nasty stuff.

Molly hasn't lost her appetite. She was running around when she last got home from the vet like she felt fine. She does have drianing sores, ocular involment, and swollen lymph nodes. The vet said only mild respiratory involment. Do we have a chance with oral meds. The vet is making me think there is no hope.

Offline Harleys Mom

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »
Glad to hear Molly's doing better & YES, there certainly is a chance that Molly could recover on the oral meds. I remember reading somewhere on this board that the Amp B isn't used as much as it used to be, but when it was, the dog was still given oral meds for several months after the Amp B treatment. There should be other posts on this board about using something I think is called Milk Thistle. Seems I remember it being a natural supplement that helps support kidney function, but I didn't use it for Harley. He was on Itra for a couple months, got his dose doubled for a few weeks, then his dose was dialed back to a 1.5 for another month or so before his kidney levels started being a concern. At that point he was switched from Itra to Flucon because Flucon was supposed to be easier on the kidneys. (I've read more recently that Flucon is harder on the kidneys than Itra, but it could be new research has been done since 2008-2009 when Harley was going thru this.) The vets recommended taking him off all meds after a couple months on Flucon because they were becoming concerned with his kidney levels again. By that point his Mira Vista test was showing a very minimal Blasto infection. I had Mira Vista tests done each month for a couple months after discontinuing meds to make sure the minimal infection tapered off instead of flaring back up.

It could be quite a while before Molly is Blasto-free, but if she's doing better that's always a positive sign.

Offline kmckinney

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 10:32:19 PM »
Wanted to update on Molly. As of now, she seems to be feeling pretty well. We swapped from compounded itra to generic and we can tell a huge difference. Molly had multiple open draining sores and they have all healed and scabbed over. No trouble breathing. She did lose sight in one eye and it makes me wish we would have started with the generic in the first place.

My only concern at this point is her limping. It comes and goes. It usually doesn't slow her down. I haven't noticed any swelling. Is it normal for her to be limping this far into treatment? Also, should I let her run as she wishes or restrict her activity.

Offline Harleys Mom

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 08:00:03 AM »
Sounds like Molly made it through the worst & is on her way to the getting better part. Don't be too hard on yourself about not starting with the generic med. Blasto can incubate for quite a while before symptoms appear so it may have been too late to save her eye with any meds. Dogs are resilient, they seem to adapt pretty well to whatever physical change comes their way.

As for limping, it is possible for Blasto to be in bones. In fact, a limp is what I had originally taken Harley to the vet for when he was diagnosed with Blasto. The bones of 1 front leg & paw were so bad the vets were considering amputating 1 or 2 toes. We decided to give the meds a couple months to work & the follow-up radiographs showed improvement, so he got to keep his toes, but he did limp for a few weeks. You may want to verify with your vet on whether or not to restrict Molly's activity. If she has a lot of fungus in her lungs, it might be better to somewhat limit her activity until her lungs have a chance to clear out the dead & dying fungi.

So glad Molly's doing better. Harley was an 8+ year survivor, proving Blasto can be defeated. Unfortunately, Father Time always wins so at 15+ years old, Harley crossed the Rainbow Bridge 10 days ago. I wish you as many good years with Molly as Harley gave me.

anything