Author Topic: Our 5 1/2 yr basset hound newly diagnosed.  (Read 378 times)

Offline TTiffin

Our 5 1/2 yr basset hound newly diagnosed.
« on: October 28, 2016, 10:23:02 PM »
Our basset hound, Duke, was recently diagnosed with blasto, has now been on sporanox for about 50 hours.
 It all started at the beginning of the month when his eye was cloudy and rolling back and his mouth was in too much pain to eat or even bark, the vet basically took a stab in the dark and gave him some antibiotics. 5 days had passed and he only grew worse, so we brought him back and he was prescribed prednisone, he was getting better to the point where he was eating and barking again so things were looking up. A week passed and although he was better than before, his eye was still a bit cloudy and getting worse. And he started developing heavy breathing. So back to the vet he went, when they finally diagnosed him with blasto and started on sporanox immediately. He has no on 100mg sporanox twice daily, as well as a large dose of prednisone and 3 different eye drops in an attempt to save his now bad eye. We are told his lungs are very bad, and things don't look great for him, and even worse for his eye. We have pretty well accepted if he does manage to beat it, he will be down at least 1 eye.
One thing that worries me is the vet has never mentioned hospitalizing him or oxygen or anything. Just basically saying, he may get worse, he may have respiratory failure and pass away. I am aware that the first 72 hours are the worst due to die off, 50 hours in he's still breathing fortunately.
I attempted to count his breaths/pm but quite frankly it's so quick I can barely keep up, my best guess was 160 BPM

So to the question, what can I do to help him out, better to be cooler or hotter? Need a humidifier or anything? Any extra supplements? And so on.

Fortunately in spite of his hard breathing he's still very aware, wags his tail sometimes to greet us etc. Still eats most of the time, and is drinking lots of water, probably partially due to his high prednisone intake.

There is only one other vet in town but I'm debating going to see them.

I am located in Moose Jaw SK Canada, and my do was the 4th blasto diagnosis this week alone just at this vets office.

Anyways my thoughts are jumping all over the place and I'm typing on my phone so I should quit while I'm ahead.

Any tips, help or words of encouragement is appreciated.
I've attached the x ray of the poor boys lungs, and one of his beautiful face.

Thanks, TTiffin

Offline TTiffin

Re: Our 5 1/2 yr basset hound newly diagnosed.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 10:41:47 PM »
Also I'm seeing mention of giving the medication with a fatty food. We were not informed of this. What kind of food would I use? Just a spoon of coconut oil or something?

Offline Harleys Mom

• Harley shows his favorite colors
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 11:51:07 AM »
Sorry to hear about Duke, Blasto's quite a nasty affliction, but sounds like your vet has had some experience with it. I always recommend newcomers to this board to read the newsletter posted at the top. It's a little dated but still has some great information.

My Harley didn't experience much breathing difficulty, but there were some others who turned fans on their dogs to try to cool them & try to ease their breathing. You may want to check with your vet about using a humidifier. I don't know about dogs, but I always have more trouble breathing when the humidity is high, but then again, your location may not be as consistently humid as mine (Illinois, about 3 hours south of Chicago.)

Some posters had suggested feeding fatty foods to improve absorption of the medication, but that was primarily for some of the generic versions of the medications. If you're getting the name brand Sporonox, it should be in little beads designed to make the medication more easily absorbed. When I was treating Harley with Sporonox, I figured a little fat couldn't hurt so I put his pills in a glob of peanut butter on top of his regular meal. Besides being a source of fat, he gobbled down the peanut butter down, pills & all, no problem! Others posted on here about using globs of butter, but that just sounded to yucky to me & I always have at least 1 jar of Jif creamy peanut butter in the cupboard ;D A little bit of whatever kind of fatty food you have on hand that he'll eat shouldn't hurt. Some dogs loose their appetites with the antifungal meds so him still eating is a good sign!

Good luck with Duke, he's certainly a handsome boy!

Offline Winter

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 11:03:34 AM »
Hi, so sorry to hear about Duke.. I agree with what Harley mom said.  You may see my post on my Girl Winter, we are from Minnesota and she was dx in Sept 2015 and now a year later has it back, this time it is Lesions on her tail and leg. Winter was very ill for about 6 week and it was Horrible, her breathing was labored eventually was unable to walk, we had to make a gurney to help bring her outside to go potty. It was probably about 2+ months until we started to see major improvements.  This site is SO helpful, lots of ideas.  I used bread, peanut butter, warmed up cheese was the easiest, I warmed up a piece for about 8 seconds in the microwave and put a pill in it while it was gooey. sometimes I gave her a piece of cheese first then the cheese/pill combo then cheese again. I also give her coconut oil in her food now once a day. I have heard people giving milk thistle and sam E to help with their liver function. Check with your vet. I hope this helps. So sorry to hear. Tonya