Author Topic: My 3 yr old Doberman Stella just diagnosed with Blasto  (Read 435 times)

Offline kmcadams

My 3 yr old Doberman Stella just diagnosed with Blasto
« on: October 24, 2016, 08:38:43 PM »
I am so sad that this is such a deadly disease. Stella had a funny cough 2 weeks ago, decreased appetite, then all of a sudden it appeared that her eyes were rolling to the back of her head :(  They said it was her third eyelid, prescribed some meds and sent us home. 2 days later a huge lesion appeared on her back and was bloody so I immediately brought her back, we were lucky to get a brand new veterinarian, he diagnosed it right away, took the x-ray and said it was not in her lungs too bad. Started her on Sporanox 100mg 3 pills a day with prednisone,  and 2 other expensive eye drops to help with her eyes. We have been to the vet 4/5 days and the last time we went they said they were pretty sure her left retina had detached and were hoping the right was okay, they could not tell with the swelling:((   It does appear that she is blind in both eyes, has about 6 huge lesions ready to leak out and today is not very hungry. Any recommendations for me? I am hoping she can pull out of this, however I have read that when the eyes are affected that the prognosis is poor. I have 2 Dobermans and they are totally inside dogs pretty much on a leash all the time, I have no clue where she could have gotten this. Any help at all will be very welcome. Thank you so much.

Offline Harleys Mom

• Harley shows his favorite colors
Re: My 3 yr old Doberman Stella just diagnosed with Blasto
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 08:09:39 AM »
So sorry to hear about Stella. Blasto is pretty nasty, but not unbeatable. It's pretty common for dogs to lose their appetites when they're sick, so it's important to keep her nourished. Some posters on this site even resorted to force-feeding when their dogs wouldn't eat. My Harley didn't completely lose his appetite, but I had a shepherd mix that wouldn't eat in her last few weeks (she was 14 & passed of old age) & it helped to try small portions of various foods to see what she liked & stick with that. The more disgusting it was to me, the better she ate, like boiled beef liver (totally GROSS!) & we went thru a lot of jars of meat varieties of baby food. I read on this board where some used a turkey baster to force feed their dogs & this kind of stuff is easy to pure & do that.

There's a newsletter on this board that has a lot of really useful information on it. I joined this board when Harley was diagnosed & seems like over the years, vets have learned more about Blasto & more are pulling thru. Took almost a year but we beat Blasto! Harley's pushing 15-16 now & starting to lose his battle with Father Time, so I hope Stella beats Blasto too so you can have a lot more years with her too.

Offline Winter

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 01:04:29 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Stella. Winter had a dry cough is where it all started in 2015 but never coughed up blood. Just keep searching you may hear more stories. There was about 4-6 week of sadness at our house, I totally thought she was dying multiple times during that period. I am so saddened that she has it back, now a year later. :( Keep us posted!

Offline kmcadams

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 10:33:41 AM »
Thank you for your responses. Yes you have given me some hope, I am lucky in that I can work from home and take care of her around the clock. She is pretty sick. I am taking her back tomorrow to the vet so I hope he can tell me something. Next week is her third birthday so it sure would be nice for her to feel better and to see some improvement. Thank you for your kindness.