Author Topic: My dog is struggling to survive Blastomycosis  (Read 855 times)

Offline TeRiley

My dog is struggling to survive Blastomycosis
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »
Dozer is a half lab/boxer mix.. we are in the process of battling this horrific infection...I've never heard of Blasto until now.  Dozer has been hospitalized for a week due to his breathing being so bad.  This is in his lungs, eyes are clear, no wounds to be found.  He is on Itraconazole 100mg.  He came home from the vet hospital on Tuesday and was doing fairly better, still breathing hard but nowhere near as bad as it was, until yesterday...he was so miserable just trying to breathe, so we had to go back to the vet for a steroid shot. We are still having a hard time with his breathing.  He is restless, sometimes he drools and occasionally he will cough up bloody water.  I called the vet about the bloody water coming up every time he coughs and he says its the Blasto dying off.  How long will this last?  I am so afraid for my Dozer all I do is pray and cry.  Can't stand the thoughts of having him put to sleep but will if the need be. I have to give this medicine a try.  His appetite is terrible, he doesn't want anything to eat but drinks water.  I have read all the info on Blasto I can find, but no one says anything about their dog coughing up blood.  Is this normal?  The vet says yes it's part of it, but I am worried to death. 

Offline chicksmom

Re: My dog is struggling to survive Blastomycosis
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 07:51:21 AM »
Sorry to hear about Dozer's diagnosis. It sucks to be part of this club.

To paraphrase the Alzheimer's organization quote -- "If you've seen one person with dementia, you've seen one person with dementia" -- same with this !@#$% disease. Lots of commonalities, but plenty of diversity in how it presents, how animals react to the die-off, how long the die-off takes, and what pops up in the future.

My dog was diagnosed 3 years ago with 3-4 systems involved and was moderately sick. When we started meds, she showed NO signs of die-off. None. She just got better, although still has blasto in her eyes.

To me, the absolute worst part of this disease is there are no definitive answers about anything, everything's a "gray" area. At least that's been my experience. The vets couldn't tell me if Chick would survive, how sick she would get, if she'd get her sight back (she did and then lost it again), how quickly she could be cured -- or not.

So take a deep breath and try to minimize expectations, good or bad. Be hopeful and positive and stay away from what-ifs. With blasto, you'll drive yourself crazy if you try and predict the future. It' just a horrible disease with just enough answers to makes us pull our hair out.

I'm hoping Dozer gets through the die-off soon and makes a full recovery, read through this forum and you'll find those miracles. Hang in there and try to live in the moment with him. It'll help save your sanity as you play the waiting game.

anything