Author Topic: Sudden swollen front leg joint -- to worry or not  (Read 873 times)

Offline chicksmom

Sudden swollen front leg joint -- to worry or not
« on: October 10, 2016, 06:57:14 AM »
Hi all. It's been three years since my working dog was diagnosed and started treatment. This morning she has a warm, swollen front leg joint and is lame.

I'm trying not to panic because we did have a raucous round of frisbee last night, but she wasn't limping afterwards or into the evening.

She was diagnosed with blasto 3 years ago. Other than still having lesions in her eyes as of February, she's been symptom-free. We (the vets and I) have wondered if her body walled off those lesions to some degree, but now I wonder.

I'm hoping this is an injury since it literally just appeared this morning.

Thoughts?

Offline Winter

Re: Sudden swollen front leg joint -- to worry or not
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 12:44:34 PM »
Hi, My Dog Winter from Minnesota Got Blasto Last year Sept 2015.  I'm am back on this site because of new multiple lesions on her tail. I do have some left over intraconzole I will start treating today and call the vet. As what I am seeing on the internet Im sure it's Blasto.  :( Last year during treatment her rear leg would give out and at time was unable to walk on It at all. I could tell It was very painful. The Vet gave her pain meds for this. There were many others on here that did have the same experience so possible Blasto, hopefully an injury instead for you, weird to say that but Blasto is Horrible!!!  Please keep us updated.

Offline kindlady

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »
It's been almost 4 years since our diagnosis and he's been symptom free for 3 1/2.  One of his back legs swells from time to time. No rhyme or reason and he never favors it.  The vet has no idea what it is.  I think it's just a side effect from the meds or blasto but he keeps on going!

Offline chicksmom

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 07:34:39 AM »
Interesting. After two days in a splint, she was walking normally. Yesterday morning, she started limping again and the joint is swollen and warm. Hopefully just a re-injury, but given what you both said, who knows.

I hate blasto for its never-ending "gray" areas. Maybe, maybe not, no one knows anything for sure or can predict one way or the other. HATE IT.

Thanks for the input and best of luck to your dogs! :-)

anything