Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Prednisone  (Read 2887 times)

GSP_Mom

• He breaths normal, quiet calm....No more struggle
    • Bodi's Myspace
Prednisone
« on: February 13, 2008, 07:14:03 PM »

I am curious to see what everyones thoughts/opinoins are about steriods.  Bodi is fighting fungal pnemonia and has been on Prednisone for a few weeks now.  We found out he has Blasto due to his breathing being so labored.  The vets say we should ween him off as soon as we can but for right now he still needs his 10mg does at night to help him breath.  One of the vets we have talked to said that the steriods lower the immune system and that with animals who have cuts or abrasions healing it takes twice as long.  Our primary vet said that Bodi's dose is so low we shouldn't worry.  Should I still worry? 
You don't have a soul, you ARE a soul.  You have a body.

Jen

• At Home By The Fence
Re: Prednisone
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 06:49:11 AM »

Hi hon-
   Wish I could magically answer this for you.  When treating Dirtbike, our vet did prescribe prednisone, even though it's contra-indicated for pts. w/fungal infections. 
I figured it this way:

Dirtbike was going to die. I had to triage her systems, and breathing came first if I wanted to keep her heart going, so I used prednisone to reduce the inflammation and keep her going. I cranked up the fan, read to her, talked, petted her, and just hoped.
  When she was not in crisis, I didn't give it to her.  I did use pseudo-ephedrine in very small doses, I loaded her in the car, put her head out the window, and drove.
But the prednisone I only used for emergencies. She was in this shape for a couple of weeks, maybe more, and it was exhausting.
  I can't tell you that your vet is right or wrong; they went to school and I didn't.
I think it depends on your animal and what it takes to care for him at the moment.  For us it was sometimes minute by minute.
   Here are some links and excerpts about prednisone, but they don't say "WHY".  I'll do some more searching, and maybe come up with the why, but here's this for now. Hope it helps-
jen

http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/monographs/prednisone.asp
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/prednisone-prednisolone/page1.aspx

Excerpt...
Precautions and Side Effects:
While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, prednisone can cause side effects in some animals.
Prednisone should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.
Prednisone should be avoided in fungal infections.
Prednisone should not be used in pregnant animals, since it can induce labor.
Extreme care must be taken when stopping prednisone therapy. If an animal has been on prednisone for an extended period of time, slow weaning off the drug is critical to avoid serious complications.
Prednisone may interact with other medications. Consult with your veterinarian to determine if other drugs your pet is receiving could interact with prednisone. Such drugs include non-steroidal anti-inflammatories.
Adverse effects include increased thirst and appetite, panting, vomiting, restlessness and diarrhea.
Some animals may develop stomach ulcers from prednisone use.
Long-term use of prednisone may result in loss of hair coat, weakening of the muscles, liver impairment and behavioral changes.

http://www.epler.com/IPFWhat'sIPFTreatmentOptions1.htm

"Prednisone also decreases the immune defenses to certain types of fungal infections and atypical bacterial agents. It is important to obtain the list of adverse effects, review them, and monitor them."

"so put your faith in more than steel - don't store your treasures up with moth and rust - where thieves break in and steal"
Thrice

luvmyjacks

• Will has regained his weight - ask Harry
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 07:15:41 AM »

Honestly I think that post deserves a topic of its own........ could you put it in again under a topic title where we could add other imortant links.  There have been some really amazing sites talked about lately.  That way a newbie could find the info without reading a year's worth of posts?  We could use one on feeding tips too as each new victim goes through the not wanting to each stage and we offer up our success stories.  There is defintely a short list now that seems to be quite effective.  Great job finding this stuff, I knew there was something not great about using the prednisone but couldn't be more specific.

evayola

• MY MARGIE
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 10:22:45 AM »

Jen you really find some great articles. I have always been scared of the prednisone. Marge was taking the prednisone eye drops and I was still worried. During Marge's worst time one of our cats got really sick and one of the vet said to try prednisone but everything I read said not to give it to him. I was so torn. I knew he wouldnt survive and I wanted to hold onto any hope and I did give it to him to stay comfy. He didnt make it. His disease has no cure.
I totally agree with you though that your #1 priority was to keep DB alive and breathing. It makes sense. It is really a hard decision to make because of all the other affects it says it has. You just have to follow your gut and monitor Bodi to make sure things arent getting worse. I too am not a vet, just a worry wart.
“There are bad times, but thats okay, just look for the love in it, don't burn the day away.” - Dave Matthews Band

GSP_Mom

• Bodi's Myspace
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 10:30:21 AM »

We are trying to wean Bodi off the steroids he has been on all this time.  He is not doing to good with it.  His appetite is back to being poor (sometimes I still force feed) & he is shaking & coughing.  Still not very active at all.  I have managed to take him on short walks or throw the ball and he will fetch once or twice.  Sometimes his mind will tell him he can do something but his body is just to weak and he'll buckle.  He was doing very well & I just hope he is not dependant on the steroids.  How long into treatment will it be before he will want to play & become more active again?

evayola

• MY MARGIE
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 01:33:46 PM »

Marge would have her good days but there werent many. She would pick up her squeeky toys and shuffle around with them (no running or galloping like now) but be pooped after a couple of minutes. What we did was buy her the most favorite of her favorite toys and allow her to destroy them until she was done. Any little pick me up was great for her. She doesnt fetch- she just looks at the ball from a distance and looks at me like Im insane asking her to get it! She didnt really show great improvement until about 8 weeks. Have you done xrays again to see if there is improvement there or has your vet said that he can hear improvement? I dont know about being dependant though. Have you talked to your vet about it? I am glad to hear he is doing much better!
“There are bad times, but thats okay, just look for the love in it, don't burn the day away.” - Dave Matthews Band

Jen

• At Home By The Fence
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 03:47:07 PM »

I didn't give DB enough prednisone to have her dependent on it. You might ask your vet about trying the pseudo-ephedrine (generic Contac/cold pills).  Dirt wasn't getting enough O2, and I couldn't afford some $500 for an oxygen tent, so I figured a bronchodilator/antihistamine couldn't hurt. I mean, I'd use it on myself.
 It did give her relief, but it will also raise blood pressure a bit.  I didn't ask a vet, just did it on my own...you may want to ask first. (I get the impression that they don't want to tell you it's ok to do stuff like that in case you'd hold them liable. I had nothing left to lose, sooo...)
jen
"so put your faith in more than steel - don't store your treasures up with moth and rust - where thieves break in and steal"
Thrice

gunner

• The other angels were busy so they sent me...
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 07:34:51 PM »

You have to be careful I would think, when giving a dog human meds.  Be sure to check with your vet.  With Gunner's first vet, I had taken Gunner to her about adozen times to treat folliculitus on her belly, but she kept giving Gunner the wrong medication.  When my son also got folliculitus (from a school wrestling match) I gave Gunner some of his medication.  My vet came unglued when I told her what I had done because, according to her, it could have destroyed Gunner's liver.  We had liver tests done and she was fine, but the vet FINALLY ordered the right medication for the follicutlitus and Gunner survived. 
Just wanted to add that.  I tell you what, if there is a wrong way to do things, I will usually try that way first!  ~sheesh~
Joyce
...the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone.  ~George Elliot

Pandomania

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 09:09:44 PM »

Hi!  Haven't written in awhile, but wanted to comment regarding prednisone.  Pando was diagnosed at the end of September.  We weaned him off of pred some time in November but his eyes were getting worse.  They were more inflammed, more retinal detachement and squinting.  He went back on them and we just tried weaning him again a few weeks ago!  A week after being off pred, he started flinching when we were going to pet him.  So we called his optho vet and they told us to put him back on pred for 4 days and then a quarter tablet every other day.  That has been working for us.  His vets are so impressed on how much retinal reattachment he has!  Both of his eyes are affected so we are hoping to save his sight.  Pando otherwise acts healthy, although a bit more panting than normal.  His appetite is EXCELLENT!  Actually he is now 20# overweight!  We have him on diet which is working!  I guess you will hear conflicting info regarding which med works best, which treatment is best.  But I feel once you find the right "cocktail" of medication, you should stick with it.  I believe that is why Pando is on Pred so long...it is working for him!  We get his blood drawn every 4-6 weeks to check to make sure his levels are good.  I hope this helps!  Take care everyone!!
Fight the Fungus!

GSP_Mom

• Bodi's Myspace
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 07:21:05 PM »

Ok so we go to the vet tomorrow....  I came home tonight afterwork to find Bodi shaking but now with a head twitch.  (not sure if anyones seen the SNL"Night at the Roxbury" head bob but that is what it looks like) It scared the hell out of me, so I gave him half a 20 mg dose (10 mg).  This is what we would give him tomorrow morning and was suposed to be the last.  I hope I didn't do anything wrong....

evayola

• MY MARGIE
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 07:50:07 PM »

I do know what you are saying about night at the roxbury and that to me doesnt seem at all normal. after you give him the pred does he get better? I just googled dependecy on prednisone dogs and it did pop up some really interesting things. Glad that you are going to the vet tomorrow. Let us know what you find out.

GSP_Mom

• Bodi's Myspace
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 07:57:46 PM »

Ok, so it has been an hour and the head twitch/bob has seemed to stop.  So I am to believe that the steriod helped.   :-\

evayola

• MY MARGIE
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 08:09:09 PM »

Thats GOOD! I never used an oral steroid so unfortunately I am no help here.

gunner

• The other angels were busy so they sent me...
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 08:55:07 PM »

I don't mean to alarm you but do you think it might have been some kind of a seizure?  Gunner has had two pretty big (for me) seizures.  It is all part and parcel of the blasto experience some times I have read.  If it is a seizure, Bodi may also need to eventually switch to fluconazole.  I have been reading about treating eye and central nervous system affected people with blasto and the best results have happened when they have used Itracoronazole and then when they are almost through switch them to fluconazole to finish up.  I am hoping my new vet might want to think about that option.  Then on the other hand, it might just be my fear of taking Gunner off of any kind of antifungal...
Joyce
...the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone.  ~George Elliot

GSP_Mom

• Bodi's Myspace
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »

I did think seizure, but Bodi was responsive.  He would react if I touched his paw, I got him to eat a bit (frozen ensure cubes) durring the tremors as well.  Also, when I first noticed I went to sit by him to let him know it was ok and he got up and moved away.  That was a bit scary since he did a circle pattern a few time.  I keep logs and my vet listens so that makes me feel better.  It just seems as if every case is different, yet similar and my vet has not treated very many Blasto cases at all.  He does get other opinions from a few vets from a larger animal hospital around here.  Bodi stayed in there ICU for 10 days so they know him and are more than willing to offer their advice.  I think about how long the recovery takes and it makes me cry.  It feels like an eternity already...  Nothing is going to stop us, we will beat this!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

anything